Honored Contributor

Re: What type of home do you plan on living during retirement?

I'd like a newer home or a home that has been completely remodeled that may be older--but that has a lot of charm.

I don't want a formal living room or a dining room. I want a large kitchen, a big island in the center, and I want a large family room. 3 bedrooms and an office would be great. I don't want a lot of land, but perhaps 1/2 to 3/4 acre max--in an area that isn't too humid or too cold.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

We plan to downsize soon. Living in a lake community for 20 years, around 3000 sq ft older home (30 years) but we truly only live in our master bedroom, office den, loft library, and our open concept living room / kitchen / dining. We have our eyes on two maintenance-free locations. One is 55+ and the other is for any age. Patio-type homes. One floor, basement, double or triple garage, two bedrooms, open concept. Large patio/deck. That's all we need. It will be similar cost to our bigger, older lake home. We're willing to make the trade for the newer home, closer to our city center and church. We want to travel more when we move and this neighborhood would add more security. We own 200 acres an hour away in nature so we don't mind the closer quarters at home. We are close to nature in our acreage. Also - I don't like to think this way, but should one of us pass -- the other wouldn't have to move.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Frequent Contributor

I don't plan to retire for a while (20+ years)... ideally I can live in the home I'm in for a good while after that. It is large, but main living is on one floor, and the location is not only central, it is in high demand (driven by large tech presence).

I think ranch home costs are increased because they take up more of a land footprint, compared to their square feet than a 2 story does. We are seeing a lot of those tall skinny homes being jammed onto lots (tearing down older perfectly good homes, and putting in 2).

Esteemed Contributor

We're are exploring our options (small home vs. condo) and will be hitting the road in March to visit areas of interest. Our first stops will be the coastal Carolinas (we have friends in both states), then to other points south. We like the Gulf Coast, too. It'll be fun taking the next few months on the road after this cold, snowy winter.

Honored Contributor

My husband is disabled, I have already retired, and it is our intentions to continue living in the house we're in right now that we built over 30 years ago. By the time we built our house, my in-laws were already experiencing the inconvenience of a two story house, so we chose a ranch style plan that would suit our needs as we grew older. In later years, we have added a double garage with a ramp, and made other improvements to help us as we grow older.

Honored Contributor

We currently live in a small ranch...about 880 sq ft...not including a finished basement...and it sits on a 1/5 acre.

We want to move...someday when DH retires...to a LARGE farmhouse...on 20+ acres so we can't see our neighbors in any direction...

We are currently surrounded by inconsiderate, ignorant neighbors and the neighborhood in general has gone down the toilet since we moved here (14 yrs ago) with lots of crime/vandalism.

We want to finally be able to enjoy pets, various animals and wide open spaces! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Respected Contributor

On 1/25/2014 twinny2 said:

We built our 3 Bedroom & 2 baths open floor plan home 19 years go. So glad we had sold our older home with individual rooms, as a wheelchair there would have been a nightmare for both of us. We were both in our mid 40's. Good thing we had a contractor that suggested wide door ways for getting older. I was forced to quit work at age 53 (12 year ago) and my DH took early retirement at age 55. Our home was paid for when we built it so we will stay here as long as I am in decent condition and can still get around. So far I am still knocking on wood because I no longer need a wheelchair/walker etc. I thank the Lord everyday that I can get out of bed and walk, after being wheelchair bound for 5 months.

Casuallady, this is a very good topic to think about. My medical condition came on so fast, that we had no time to really plan anything other what we had already done.

You were very smart to consider wheelchair accessibility when building your home. We have the perfect retirement home. At one time, we used our bonus room upstairs as our den (when my daughters were growing up, they had a "private" place to enjoy their friends", but now, my husband and I can barely climb the stairs to go up there so it's used as storage mostly. However, our hall and bedroom entrance ways are impossible to navigate in a wheelchair. I'm not sure what we will do if being wheelchair bound becomes and issue for us.

We don't want or need a larger home. Cleaning out and paring down is our goal now. Our home is only about 1600 sq ft downstairs and the bonus room is probably another 300 sg ft. We have a half acre lot with a pool that my husband struggles now to maintain. It's a wonderful, safe, friendly neighborhood. Aside from the pool (which we will eventually have to fill in) and not having room for a wheelchair, I am happy here.

Super Contributor

If I were to buy everything I see on here and other places online, it would be a cardboard box, lol. Thank goodness I prefer to window shop.

We would love to buy a condo in Savannah, Ga. when the time comes. We just love the area.

Now I do buy some of the things I see, but not near what I see that tempt me.

Vicki

Respected Contributor

The house we live in is fairly large, but all on one floor. It is also in the country on 3 acres. We already hire the mowing, so that's not an issue.

Where we live is doable for retirement, but we have talked about moving to town in a small ranch. We looked at a very small ranch in town a few months ago but I realized I wasn't ready to downsize that much yet. We are ages almost 58 and almost 59.

I doubt DH ever retires, but it would be nice to move a little closer to the stores, etc. AND not have as much to clean.

We don't have any retirement communities here since our town is so small.

Moving to another town is not an option for us. Our parents are here and our kids live in nearby towns.

I'd love to move to a warmer climate, but we just can't. We'll just travel south a lot.

Respected Contributor

On 1/26/2014 vicki is ok said:

If I were to buy everything I see on here and other places online, it would be a cardboard box, lol. Thank goodness I prefer to window shop.

We would love to buy a condo in Savannah, Ga. when the time comes. We just love the area.

Now I do buy some of the things I see, but not near what I see that tempt me.

Vicki

You would love Savannah. The weather, the people and the activities are beyond compare. There is always something to do for young and old. The homes are reasonably priced and you get a lot for your money.