Valued Contributor

What type of batteries does everyone use?

I use alot of Cs & AAAs. I have bags and bags of them in the garage to try to recycle. Does anyone have any luck with the recharchable ones? Most of the items are Valeries. It is getting expensive to keep buying them. 

Has anyone tried the ones at Dollar Tree? My son said he didn't think they were too good. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What type of batteries does everyone use?

@rosehill wrote:

I use alot of Cs & AAAs. I have bags and bags of them in the garage to try to recycle. Does anyone have any luck with the recharchable ones? Most of the items are Valeries. It is getting expensive to keep buying them. 

Has anyone tried the ones at Dollar Tree? My son said he didn't think they were too good. 

Hi rosehill, the Dollar Tree batteries work quite well to light most of the finials and that type of things.  But, they are very quick to leak and have ruined some of my candles and other things.  So, I do not recommend them unless you're really good at watching and removing when they get weak.  During the holidays, I have so many BO things going that I may miss some and then then they leak before I know it.

Trusted Contributor

Rose, I use AA, AAA, C, D, and some button cells for a few items. I purchase mine at Home Depot. They sell large packs, and I find the Energizers to be the best brand.
Trusted Contributor

I agree with Lucymo about the Dollar Tree batteries.

I use them for candles and other decorative items, but you must be mindful of when you put them in because they definately will teak if you leave them in too long. I have had  a few items get battery acid leaks from them.

I only use Duracells in the VPH spheres because the DT don't seem to work well in the spheres. I get them in a big pack at BJs.

Trusted Contributor

I have a ton of BO items at the holidays so I use mostly Duracells which I get in the really large packs in Costco. If you watch Costco's sales, they often put those packs on sale (all the sizes) throughout the year and I try to pick them upwhen they do so I'm ready to go when holiday decorating starts.  I  live in So. Florida so we typically keep lots of batteries on hand especially during hurricane season.  I have also used Costco's in house brand (Kirklands) and they also work quite well.  

I also have a few Candle Impressions items that require the CR2450s and the ones at the Q are by far the best life and the best price. I got a pack of 20 for $19 including shipping.  Last year I bought replacements at Home Depot. I needed 3 of them and they charged me $5 a piece and they did not last nearly as long.  

Honored Contributor

Here, we use D, C, AA, AAA and some 9volts. I buy Duracell in the big packs at Sam's Club.

I tried the rechargable batteries many years ago, and found them lacking. It seemed like within a short time, they weren't holding a charge, and didn't retain enough power to keep something lit for very long, so I gave up on them. 

I'm wondering if there have been some advancements made over the years, and if I should try them again.

I never waste money on cheap batteries. It really is one of those things where you get what you pay for. 

Respected Contributor

Side note
DO NOT STORE BATTERIES IN BAGS!!!!
We had a fire at our office because of dead batteries were touching end to end in a trash can. Please be safe.
Honored Contributor

Mostly Duracell -- AA, AAA, C, D, 9 volt.  On occasion use Energizer.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I try to buy batteries when they go on sale.  I like to buy Duracell or Energizer.  If nobody has a sale, I will buy Walgreen's brand, they are pretty good.  Other cheaper brands are good on price, but bad on longevity.  

C and AA are the top sizes I use, followed by D, AAA.

Honored Contributor

Mostly AAs and 9V batteries. I use AAs for my TV remotes and my wireless mice (mouses?) and buy the expensive tech ones for those. My apartment has THREE smoke detectors and they all take 9V batteries. I've been using Energizers for those. I have a camping lantern that I use for power failures and it takes either 4 or 8 D cell batteries - some ridiculous amount - but I only replace them once every few years and only then so they don't corrode. I've never had them run out because it's rarely used.

I work in a high tech company, so we have battery recycle stations all around the office and I drop my old batteries in there.

I used to use rechargeables and had good luck with them when I could remember to keep spare ones charged. I'm looking into the Panasonic Eneloop rechargeable batteries. They have a longer life on the shelf and an interesting system. They're all AAA or AA sized and you put them inside a C or D cell sized container if you need a larger battery. You can buy a kit with several AA and AAA batteries and the C/D sizes spacer boxes to make larger batteries.