Honored Contributor

Re: What to bring to Thanksgiving

If someone says not to bring any food, I honor that....  BUT..... I see nothing wrong with a small token of appreciation such as a kitchen towel, cute seasonal hot pad, apron, etc.

Honored Contributor

A bottle of wine, a box of nice chocolates, flowers, a beautiful Christmas ornament. I always take food, they don't have to include it for the Thanksgiving meal. They can enjoy it over the long weekend.  

Honored Contributor

Either a horn of plenty filled with fruit or fall decor or a Christmas Cactus. I'd probably opt for the cactus since the use for the horn of plenty would have been better if given before Thanksgiving, so it could be used for Thanksgiving, plus if it has fruit, that's food and they don't want food. . I also like a pretty set of battery operated candles or nice scented guest bath or pump soap and lotion set. Another option, if they drink coffee, is some ritzy coffees in sets. They sell them at Costco. Same could be a set of teas...a sampler, if they drink tea. 

Honored Contributor

I think I live in my own parallel universe.

please don't bring anything if you come to my house, unless I've asked you to specifically bring something toward the meal.

I live a very simple life and for some reason I have become very finicky and difficult to buy for.

I am not going to single out any of the suggestions made here because everyone made them with good intent, but, Though appreciated, I wouldn't keep most of the items mentioned.  I just don't want more stuff. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Unless you have sent me a text and we discussed your contribution to our Thanksgiving dinner, I would prefer you bring no food items. The same goes for flowers, a plant, etc.

I live in a small condo and I have it decorated just the way I want. The last thing I want to be doing when I am up to my elbows in making gravy is to find serving pieces for food I didn't plan for or even a vase for flowers.

I personally would appreciate your contribution of a bottle of wine we could share over dinner or a liqueur for an after dinner drink.