Honored Contributor

Re: What to bring to Thanksgiving

@kindred cats,

I think an apron is a really nice idea.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Kachina624  That shows how different we all are when it comes to hostess gifts. If someone gave me that gift card I would be insulted. I do not invite people and hope they pay for their food.

@Janey2 

i kind of feel the same way.

it just isnt done in our group of family and friends.

for many, it would be an insult.

if you want to give a gift card then give them a gift card to a restaurant they enjoy going to rather than the grocery store.

everyone is different though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@kindred cats,

I think an apron is a really nice idea.

@on the bay 

if any of my family or friends are on these boards, i would love a holiday apron!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

How about a flameless candle or lantern or a faux handing basket of holly or greenery?

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 @on the bay @kindred cats   Years ago a friend brought me a Vera Bradley apron one holiday!  Years later, I still love it and use it.  Colorful, bib style, washes great!  I would like to find a pretty holiday plaid apron.  I don’t want a whimsical or Santa/reindeer/snowman, etc.  just a tartan plaid.  

Honored Contributor

@lynnie61 wrote:

@sunshine45 @on the bay @kindred cats   Years ago a friend brought me a Vera Bradley apron one holiday!  Years later, I still love it and use it.  Colorful, bib style, washes great!  I would like to find a pretty holiday plaid apron.  I don’t want a whimsical or Santa/reindeer/snowman, etc.  just a tartan plaid.  

@lynnie61 

williams sonoma has a simple tartan plaid apron.

qvc has a plaid apron at an excellent price, although it is NOT tartan.

Design Imports Christmas Plaid Chef Apron - QVC.com

Trusted Contributor

We do something that I'm sure many will consider selfish: we bring 2 bottles of Sparkling Apple Cider. We don't drink. Our sons don't drink and the younger 2 aren't keen on soda. We've had many sparkling apple/grape drinks and the majority taste pretty bad. So, we bring these 2 bottles and so far, the host/hostess has been thrilled because they either didn't think of it (which is fine, other things to deal with) or maybe they purchased just soda and instead, will serve this.

In my world, if you have special dietary needs; choose to follow a specific food plan or want something to drink other than what will be served by the host, it's your responsibility to bring it yourself. So, we do. Feedback afterwards has always been a big YES so....there it is!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

If you are a Costco member they always have some terrific boxed candies, boxed cookies all great for gifts.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I would bring a dessert or a side dish unless the HOST stated not to bring one.  Someone else telling me not to bring food because they always have plenty doesn't cut it.

It's a Thanksgiving meal, IMO the norm is to bring something to share.

Respected Contributor

Small Thanksgiving flower arrangement or harvest bouquet. 

Yankee jar candle in a spiced pumpkin or other holiday scent. The hostess almost always lights the candle right away and we enjoy the scent during our visit that day.

To my niece's, I took a nice bottle of handsoap in a holiday container I found at HomeGoods and a nice hand towel for her guest bath. 

I defintiely would not take food since they requested no food.