Honored Contributor

Re: What to bring to Thanksgiving

@massgirl wrote:

I tradtionally  to put a gift card to the local supermarket into a Thanksgiving card and send ahead to my hostess.  This helps to defray the cost of the meal or they can use it at a later date.  With the cost of everything these days I think this is a considerate gift.

@massgirl    That's a really thoughtful and unusual suggestion.  It would probably be much appreciated considering the cost of groceries.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I prefer to give the couple something for just them as a thank you.

I might suggest a large poinsettia to enjoy the whole season.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  That shows how different we all are when it comes to hostess gifts. If someone gave me that gift card I would be insulted. I do not invite people and hope they pay for their food.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2    Nobody says it has to be used for food since supermarkets sell such a variety of merchandise or that it be used for the Thanksgiving meal...but it could if the hostess desires.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I know you said you brought a plant last time, how about a small lantern decorated with a fall bow?  Or a nice arrangement of FRESH flowers in a fall theme...that she can enjoy then throw away when dead, nothing to store.

Or a baked good like a coffee cake that can be frozen for later.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Kachina624  That shows how different we all are when it comes to hostess gifts. If someone gave me that gift card I would be insulted. I do not invite people and hope they pay for their food.

@Janey2 

I wouldn't be insulted in the least.  There would probably be a note inviting me to pick out my favorite wine or my favorite ice cream.

Respected Contributor

A gift card could be thoughtful or it could be insulting.  You have to think about who they are and how they would perceive the gift.  Probably works better for family.

Lots of good ideas here though.

Respected Contributor

I would bring a xmas cactus.  It blooms and hardly any care needed.

Respected Contributor

Maybe a variety of spices, syrups, jams or honey? 

Respected Contributor

When I hosted a friend bought a floral arrangement, horn of plenty?  I think that's what it was called.  It was large and had beautiful flowers in it that were autumn in color.  She said she got it at Costco.  It was very pretty.