Respected Contributor

What to Do with an Extra Room

[ Edited ]

I've deciided to rethink one of the guest bedrooms in my house. But, I don't have a definite idea of what to do with it. I gave the bed to charity. A chest of drawers that I painted & stenciled to match the room is leaving. I have an antique (about 100 yrs old) chest of drawers with original flower painting on it I bought an auction 27 yrs ago. When I moved to the west coast, the mover broke a small piece of trim off of it, & I never could find a way to repair it.

I'm thinking of making it an Accessories Room. I bought 2 Origami metal book shelves. I put my dogs' extra leashes, sweaters, nail clippers, and extra pillow covers on one. On the other unit, I put my scarves, extra slippers, and extra hair & bath products. Then, I bought 2 of the same cotton printed shower curtains & hemmed them before using decorative shower hooks to hang them around the shelves so they cover the items but open in the front.

I bought a metal laundry dryer rack for that room.

I painted and stenciled a large wooden chair and bought a chair pad at Pier 1.

I have a gold-leaf vanity from my mom I might put in there.

I might add a futon or a twin or double chair/hide-a-bed.

I have a couple of decorative mirrors.

I would buy a different light fixture. What kind?

PROBLEM: I'm not sure how to make it cohesive so that it definitely has the Accessory Room theme. Or, should I toss the theme & keep it a guest room??

Honored Contributor

Re: What to Do with an Extra Room

Make a built-in cabinet.

Honored Contributor

Ikea hack, turn a vertical cubby storage unit to it's side to double as a bench!

Honored Contributor

Purse Storage Options to Buy or DIY | Apartment Therapy

Honored Contributor

jewelry storage from reclaimed wood

Honored Contributor

Spare Room turned Closet "Diva Room"

Honored Contributor

See more images from 35 spare bedrooms that turned into dream closets on domino.com

Respected Contributor

I just put cats in all my extra rooms. They like it, and I have no room for houseguests.

Respected Contributor

Wow. I remember before we bought our house here in Florida, DH was saying he didn't think we needed 3 bed rooms. Well, one was our, the other a guest bedroom (always made up and ready for surprise company), and the other became his den. If I had another room, I'd make it into a combination sewing room and extra guest room.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like it has a theme, walk in closet.