Trusted Contributor

Re: What's your housekeeping schedule?

Housekeeping? Schedule?  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I clean when the mood strikes me or when it needs to be done.  I have a very large house, 7000 square feet, and I can't do it all in one day.  It's 3 levels but I do not clean the basement, that's my husband's domain with all his collectibles, toys, and office.  It's not messy, he's neat, it's that I don't want to touch or move his stuff.  It's A LOT.

Trusted Contributor

Now that I am really old I dust when I see dust, do the laundry when the hamper is full, vacuum as needed, wash dishes at night, not usually too many and I hate waking up to things in my sink.  Now the bathroom and kitchen floors get cleaned on Friday since that is my day to put fresh towels out.  The only thing I must do every day, at least 3x a day is go out in the garden to clean the birdbath because those robins are so darn dirty lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a neat & clean "freak". I want a clean and organized house for myself, not just when company is coming. I wipe down counters, sweep, and tidy up a bit every day. I still do major cleaning like mopping floors, vacuuming, & deep cleaning bath & kitchen on Saturday morning. I had that schedule when I worked M-F, and I have stuck with it even though I'm retired. My husband helps with the Saturday cleaning. I usually dust on Friday. 

Respected Contributor

I believe I need a schedule but I have never actually made one up and then stuck to it LOL!  Perhaps I will do this in the near future Woman Very Happy

My home is too big for me to clean in one day...impossible.  Yet is not as large as another poster at 7000sq ft....mine is 3000sq ft.  I think when I get this decluttering caught up (another project of mine going on) and sticking closer to a weekly routine in the basics for cleaning I will finally get my home in much better shape.

At least when it's more organized IF I can hire a service to come out even 1 time per month would be awesome.  I would love to experience that just one time in my life LOL!  You ladies that are enjoying that good for you!  Nobody but me gets really upset at all the "stuff" or mess and every once in awhile my spouse will clean his bathroom which I so appreciate now.  4 bathrooms is just to much for my energy level.  I don't have it in the tank to get it all done.

Respected Contributor

My housekeeping schedule is to open the door every other Tuesday when Norma, our house cleaner gets here.  In between we keep it picked up, do some light vacuuming , bathroom cleaning etc as needed.  We're both neat nicks so that helps.

@house_cat wrote:

Do you have one, or do you just clean things when they look like they need to be cleaned?

I'd like to establish a schedule because I can no longer tackle the entire house on one day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Skyegirl21 

I completely understand how you feel invaded by the cleaning person.  I told my husband in 2019 that I was  overwhelmed and needed help. He's disabled and cannot help at all, so one day he caught my neighbor's cleaning woman and signed us up.  She was absolutely meticulous - cleaned things I didn't even know could be cleaned - but she took literally all day.  Many times I'd come home from work and she'd still be there. 

In the summertime, when I wasn't working, we'd have to plan a day trip for those days she was coming, because we lived in a small townhome and it was impossible to stay out of her way.

When Covid hit it was the perfect time for me to cancel her services. I actually paid her for the first 3 months, even though she wasn't working for us because I felt sorry about her situation. Eventually I cut ties completely. 

I'm a very private person and it turns out I'd rather clean the house myself than share it with someone else for all those hours.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Hazel, my robovac, cleans every day at the same time. Me....notsomuch.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I tidy up each morning. Keep in mind that ours is a small ranch house. In fifteen minutes, I swiffer the wood floors, dust, vacuum and spiff up the bathroom. DH washes the dishes and makes the bed. Typically on Fridays, I steam mop and deal with my stainless steel appliances. Twice a year, I do a deep cleaning, but my daily routine keeps things pretty clean.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Skyegirl21 

I completely understand how you feel invaded by the cleaning person.  I told my husband in 2019 that I was  overwhelmed and needed help. He's disabled and cannot help at all, so one day he caught my neighbor's cleaning woman and signed us up.  She was absolutely meticulous - cleaned things I didn't even know could be cleaned - but she took literally all day.  Many times I'd come home from work and she'd still be there. 

In the summertime, when I wasn't working, we'd have to plan a day trip for those days she was coming, because we lived in a small townhome and it was impossible to stay out of her way.

When Covid hit it was the perfect time for me to cancel her services. I actually paid her for the first 3 months, even though she wasn't working for us because I felt sorry about her situation. Eventually I cut ties completely. 

I'm a very private person and it turns out I'd rather clean the house myself than share it with someone else for all those hours.

@house_cat :  My cleaning lady comes with 3 helpers and completes my 2800 sq.ft. home in @2.5 hours, top to bottom.  My DIL's has a single cleaner like yours was, and she did the same thing, stayed all day to clean.  Give it another try with a "team" of cleaners.