Esteemed Contributor

Re: What's your housekeeping schedule?

No schedule although the kitchen and bathroom are tended to daily. I do what I can as far and dusting, sweeping and moping, at least until my wonky back says, "Nope".

DD does a lot on the weekends.

Gosh, I miss the days of be able to get everything done in one day.

Esteemed Contributor

When I'm overwhelmed and I call my house cleaner.....that's a treat

Esteemed Contributor

I am a do as it needs to be done, or a do when I feel like it person.  A clean and perfect house is not my priority, nor my husband's (thank goodness).

However, my Mother was on a strict schedule for everything that she did - laundry, grocery shopping, vacuuming, dusting, etc.  She was so set in her ways that she could not or would not change her "schedule" to do other things.  As kids, we would be late to activities because the kitchen had to be all cleaned up before we left the house.  She would not go to bed until the living room throw pillows were back in place and the blankets folded.  She would not let me take the groceries out of the bags to help speed her along.  Or she would miss things because it interfered with what she felt she had to do in the house.

I suppose that may be the way that I am.  I don't have a set day to do anything.  I just do it when it needs to be done or, even if it needs to be done, I won't do it until I feel like it.  That makes me sound kind of lazy, but it is what it is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Someone said to me to do an area at a time, not tackle the entire space and that is what I do.  I clean the bathroom weekly and the kitchen a few times a week.  When I was younger and had company quite often I would clean thoroughly even though it was too much work even then.  Now I am retired, do not get the company I used to so I do what I want when I want, that's my best schedule!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I do some housework and laundry daily but I am considering a cleaning lady, at this point. I just don't have the energy to keep my house the way I want it anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife   I have it pretty easy too.  I have always had someone to clean my house.  I love a clean house but don't like to nor know how to clean.  When I was working I felt no way going to work 8 stress filled hours a day, commute 2 hours one going and one coming, get up early to get ready to go to work, and then in the little free time left was I going to spend it cleaning.

We either eat out or DH does the cooking and the grocery shopping.   He is a good cook, I am not.  He also washes sheets and towels since we are both now retired.  He always has to be doing something and I am content to sit and read.

I wash my clothes, DH washes his clothes.  DH likes to do the things he does around the house and he is also handy for repairs, gardening, etc. and enjoys that  He does not like to do housecleaning either and also will not, and since he does most of the rest of the stuff, I pay for the housecleaning.

Honored Contributor

Since the extreme heat has driven me inside for several days in a row and my husband wasn't home I did some rearranging in the pantry.  I threw away 2 garbage bags of expired food.  Not recently expired mind you.  Epirations of 2016, 2017, 2018.  That should tell you how long it's been since I've done that.  

The air filters get changed once every 3 months.  That's how long they claim to last although the one upstairs looks pristine when I pull it out.  

I usually steam clean the kitchen floors when hubby is away, but didn't get around to it this time, but I did make bread.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned to skip out of Home Ec class in HS. 

I'm so glad I did! 😁

Honored Contributor

Hmmm, well I thought I was a better house keeper, I think I have been slipping lately....I can see a nice layer of dust across the top of our gas fireplace.  

I don't really have a schedule, most cleaning gets done on Saturday.  If I have a day off thru the week, then I clean that day unless I  have plans.  I do much better in the winter months.

I do a heavy cleaning in the spring and after Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

I dust every day.  Not every surface in my home, but my wood tables and desk and lamps and such.  I wipe the bathrooms and kitchen down daily, but do a thorough cleaning of those rooms twice a week, including the floors.  For the floors that are carpeted, I vacuum almost every day, skipping a day here and there when I just don't feel like it or right after my dog gets groomed.    Having a long haired heavy shedder requires a lot of vacuuming.  

I've always been a clean freak. Smiley LOL