Honored Contributor

Re: What's the oldest item on your house to-do list?

Probably, the worst is the black top drive way which a very young DH let the big garbage truck drive onto instead of taking the garbage can to the road.  You can see the damage the weight of the trucks did.

I need a new roof first.  I won't bring trucks and a dumpster in on new blacktop.

Honored Contributor

I have wanted to add on to our master bedroom for a while but after finishing the 6 month kitchen gut I doubt we will ever do it.

If it takes 6 months to do a kitchen how many years will it take to add on to the house? I'm not getting booted out of my bedroom where I won't get any sleep.

I want all the inside painted so that's what we are doing now. We also need to replace the flooring in the bedrooms. I want wood floors like in the living area but DH wants to put more carpet back in the bedrooms? He also wants to replace all the trim.

Honored Contributor

I don't "love" the place....but I don't want to move, either.    So, I will probably be in limbo forever...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

It's not really on the oldest home project "to do list" BUT "me"...purge the rest of ALL the "stuff" living up in my attic (lord knows what's in those boxes that moved here with spouse & stored for years🤦‍♀️) 

The hardest part is finding & hiring someone to go up that "narrow" pull down ladder, convince spouse he doesn't need 1/2 the stuff he has up there and empty it!

Soon I hope temps will start cooling off..and I'll take this off the "to do" list  & be rid of stuff🤞🏻🤞🏻

Respected Contributor

Well my house is 21 years old. About two months ago we replaced the flooring downstairs...what a mess but it's done. Hubs and I just finished painting entire downstairs last week. Done. Next on the list, removing house shutters and paint those and have house power washed while they are off. Thats next two weeks. So it was all old stuff on the list. I'm holding my breath on the roof😩

Respected Contributor

I've put off refinishing a desk, but I have to do it before I move in spring.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

@house_cat wrote:

@SilleeMee 

New flooring is the WORST renovation of all! We did it several years ago in my last house. It was just like moving out and moving back in.. an awful task. I can certainly see why you're reluctant to do it.

2016 Remodeled kitchen , added family room with laminate flooring, added garage. I wanted more laminate flooring but DH hates it and wants carpet. We have lived in this house for 18 years without replacing the light colored Berber carpet and I am fed up and ready to do something. Today a friend took me to a flooring store. We are handicap and I use a walker and DH uses a walking cane. Salesperson said we needed Berber or something like it. I didn't like the colors of the Berber carpet. Given sample of Checkmate Diamond Collection carpet color macadamia. Didn't have time to ask any questions. My later research discovered it is a polyester and I am concerned about durability, easy to repair and clean. Carpet needs to be replaced in the living room, hallway, den. Plus den has 1/2 bathroom and ready to replace that light colored tile and grout. My head is spinning. I have not purchase any carpet since the 1980's. I have a notebook and making a list of questions and concerns. So decision about nylon or polyester carpet.

Honored Contributor

Paint trim around garage door. I bought a little can of paint in April and it's still sitting in the garage.

Respected Contributor

The oldest to do was replacing our stairs and hall carpeting. It is done! They came Wednesday. It was worse than I imagined. Husband took the old one off and it was dangerous trying not to walk on the nails.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We just completed the oldest item on our list.  We removed 13 white pine trees that we planted to divide my side yard from our neighbor.  They were seriously at least 40 feet above our two story house.

When the snow collected on the branches during the winter, the weight would break large branches and they break and fall halfway down.  We had dangerous limbs just hanging there.

Thank goodness they are gone. Yeah!  No more pine needles to clean up.

☹️  Lost my shade though.