Honored Contributor

What's on your bedroom dresser?

I've done my best to restore my mom and dad's bedroom set, circa 1953. It's a beautiful cherry wood with lovely details.  It's structurally as sound as the day they bought it, though it has some scratches and scuffs. I've moved it from NY to CA and recently to NC, so it has miles on it. I know they spent a great deal of money when they purchased it as newlyweds and my mom cherished it.  She always had a silver tray in the center with her perfume bottles on it.  If I remember correctly, there was a jewelry box and a couple of other decorative items.  Well, I have neither a jewelry box nor perfume bottles and I'm at a loss for how to decorate it. 

If you don't mind sharing, what is atop your bedroom dresser?

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

Re: What's on your bedroom dresser?

A lamp, a hand mirror, a Fenton art glass decorative perfume bottle, a small decorative box that holds small doodads, a jewelry box and a couple of decorative glass paper weights.  As you can see, I am not a minimalist!

Trusted Contributor

Your parent's dresser sounds lovely. 

I have a very old mirrored tray on mine, set in the center with some trinket boxes that I've collected or been given as gifts over the years.

I also have two small lamps (one on each end), and a couple of flameless candles.

I'm allergic to perfume so I don't have any perfume bottles, either.

Honored Contributor

A lamp, a ceramic tray with perfume bottles, a trinket box that matches the tray, and on the other end a phone .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It would be easy to keep it from being decorated with dust if it has nothing on it.  

Respected Contributor

Like your mother, I have a glass tray on which I keep my perfume bottles.  I also have a very small table lamp that has the touch feature.  I enjoy turning it on in the evening to the very low setting and it just gives the right amount of light for preparing for bed. 

I also have a small glass dish where I put my earrings after I remove them each day.  I have just a few little decorative items such as a small turtle that I bought from the Joan Rivers collection and a small swan that belonged to my mother.  

Your dresser sounds beautiful.  My parents had a very nice bedroom set that they purchased when they got married in the 1930's.  My mother lovingly cared for it and they had it throughout their entire marriage.  

I envy you having such a fine piece of furniture.  Nothing made today can even begin to compare to how furniture was produced in the past.

Honored Contributor

Minimalist bedroom.  Just the bed, two floating nightstands and one unusual table with a small drawer. 

On one side is a clock; on the other, a lizard sculpture.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

The dresser and furniture set sound beautiful!

I have my grandmother's crystal vanity with the same glass tray in the center which held her pearls.

I keep a few layers of silver polishing cloths with my sterling er's under them.

I also have a collection of portraits of our 2 sons on the right.  To the left a wooden jewelry box. 

She always had a vanity set of a mirror, brush, and comb.

I made the skirt to cover the large drawers.

The quilt for the bed is being cleaned.

20210813_222212.jpg

Honored Contributor

I don't have or need a bedroom dresser.

But I hope you and the fam - including the kitties, of course - are adjusting nicely to your new home and area.

Honored Contributor

I have my parents dresser that they bought in an antique shop. My guess would be it’s from the thirties but I really don’t know. It’s not big and has three drawers. There is a Victorian lamp on it and a tv.