Honored Contributor

@wilma I agree with you! The only thing I really like is the area rug, but this room definitely needs larger furniture, some color and different furniture and some colorful paintings/art work. I personally would also add some window treatments, I don't like the look of bare windows, well actually sometimes it looks good, but for me not practical! I need to have some privacy.....

Honored Contributor

Room itself is fine but furniture and decor is a definite do over.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it's the scale and the amount/type of furnishings in this living room.  It doesn't help that I find most of it downright ugly either.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

If you ask me, it needs a piano - in dramatic ebony! Smiley Happy

Have the keyboard on a tilt facing the eastern window so that the lid opens towards the room, and the musician gets plenty of light from the windows. Put the sofa where the loveseat is, the loveseat facing the windows.

I like the no window treatments. The end tables and chairs sprinkled around. A black music stand, too, but not a cheap metal one. 

Size of the picture is fine, but change the subject and frame. Get rid of the throw.

Honored Contributor

Ugh...  Where to start?

Bad furniture.

Bad arrangement of bad furniture.

Bad rug. 

Bad artwork on bad wall color.

Bad furniture too small for room.

If all things were corrected, the windows could be left naked.  If not, they need something.

Agree with all who think the owners just moved in and haven't gotten it all together yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Once again @wilma I agree with your assessment of the room.  I agree with everything you said regarding that gray and tan room as well.  We must be kindred spirits!

Honored Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

If you ask me, it needs a piano - in dramatic ebony! Smiley Happy

Have the keyboard on a tilt facing the eastern window so that the lid opens towards the room, and the musician gets plenty of light from the windows. Put the sofa where the loveseat is, the loveseat facing the windows.

I like the no window treatments. The end tables and chairs sprinkled around. A black music stand, too, but not a cheap metal one. 

Size of the picture is fine, but change the subject and frame. Get rid of the throw.

@Harpa 

I like the idea of adding a piano. I still would need window treatments though. 

Honored Contributor

I think the furniture is too small and the area rug isn't big enough. 

I am not a fan of bare windows.

Respected Contributor

I like the room color but together with the furnishings, it all blends together.  It needs more contrast & the furnishings don't fit the room.  Needs maybe a couple larger pieces.  I don't like the glass tables.

I'd change the art piece & add some window treatments.  The room has great potential to be more appealing.

Honored Contributor

Pretty rug. Room is too empty.