Honored Contributor

Ethan Allen-

Image may contain: bedroom and indoor

Honored Contributor

Love that throw in the bedroom. Looks like stockinette stiich. Wonder what size needles were used.

Honored Contributor

Although I don't like brown, I like that couch in the very first pic.  I don't care for the striped chair or that rickety looking table, though.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Joss & Main-

Honored Contributor

Pottery Barn-

Honored Contributor

Crate and Barrel-

Honored Contributor

Cost Plus World Market-

Honored Contributor

Cost Plus World Market-

Super Contributor

Three friends of mine have recently moved into new homes (two are actually new builds and the third is a very old building that was completely done over).  All three feature pale gray walls throught, although the old building rehab retained some original brick walls.  In all three, my friends have decorated with very neutral furniture and accessories. They are all perfectly lovely.

However, I need color.  I know that pale gray/ivory/white is meant to provide a tranquil setting, but for me that would not be the case.  Now, I'm not saying I want bright purple walls.  In fact, all the walls in my house are pale shades.  Just not all white. I do have neutral furniture including leather pieces, but, again, no white. As for accessories, I love pops of color everywhere.  

The other thing I would worry about with all white everything is the fact that it would be nearly impossible to keep clean.  Obviously, no matter what color one uses to decorate, over time things start to look shabby.  But, in my view, nothing looks dingy quicker than white/ivory pieces.

I think it's great that we all love different styles.  Otherwise, life would be boring!  I can also appreciate rooms that are beautifully executed, even if it's not my style.  And at the end of the day, we should all have what makes us happy, despite what anyone else thinks.  I view my home as my haven, and I want to decorate it so that I (and my husband) feel good when we are there.

Honored Contributor

They're all pretty, but . . .

where are the English country, or rustic cabin, or seaside looks, and so on?  

Everyone on the HGTV shows and magazines seems to only show these neutral schemes that are beautiful, but lack color or life.  It's as if they are only meant for resale, not to live in.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.