Respected Contributor

Re: What kind of thermostan sp. do you have?

@halfpint1   Hi.  I think you are going to have to supply a little more information about your HVAC (heating & cooling) system and thermostat for us to try and understand what you are experiencing.

Furnaces. The majority of North American households depend on a central furnace to provide heat (either gas or electric)

Boiler

Heat Pumps

Are you saying when the thermostat reaches the temperature (number) for it to kick on the furnace or AC the noise occurs?  Or is it the opposite, when the house has reached set temperature, the noise happens?

Thermostats typically are pretty silent, an occasional click, but nothing constant.  However, when the furnace or AC kicks on, sometimes you may hear a "boom" then the rushing of air through your duct work.  How loud the noise is depends upon so many things. If it basically quiet in your home then the noise is more noticeable.  It is normal and nothing to fixate on.

When the weather in your area gets warmer, have your son totally shut down your furnace for a day (no heat, AC or fan).  See if you still hear the noise you are talking about.  If you don't hear anything, then you know the noise come from your HVAC operating as normal.

These are just my thoughts.  Our furnace is located in the unfinished basement directly underneath of bedroom.  On very cold, quiet winter nights it would make me nuts hearing it kick on and off.  I was so angry with our HVAC people because they advertised it as being extremely quiet.  

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny  She has had them checked many times.  It's nighttime apparently when it gets worse. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Allegheny  She has had them checked many times.  It's nighttime apparently when it gets worse. 

@Sooner I know.  I am thinking there isn't any thing wrong with her system. What you and I hear and are told are normal sounds may be frightening to her at night.  Just trying to reinforce to her that what she is hearing is normal.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner I know.  I am thinking there isn't any thing wrong with her system. What you and I hear and are told are normal sounds may be frightening to her at night.  Just trying to reinforce to her that what she is hearing is normal.

@Allegheny My mother heard things at night.  Heard the phone ring at 3 a.m. every night, but it didn't happen.  We would stay there and she said "Did you hear it?"  Phone company also said there were non calls.

She was convinced someone was harassing her.  Heard other things too.  Finally came to a crisis and she was glad to move out of the house.

You can't reason with someone in this state and can't make them do anything.  It is terrible but it is what it is.  

Honored Contributor

I hope that halfpint1 understands we are all concerned about her and pray that she won't live in a state of stress and anxiety and fear.  We are concerned and want the best for her, and for her to be able to enjoy her day and sleep pecefully at night.