Esteemed Contributor

What kind of thermostan sp. do you have?

When it meets the number it makes so much noise but no one hears or admits it. And I am going nuts.

Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of thermostan sp. do you have?

@halfpint1 ....would you feel more secure if you lived in a retirement home type situation?  If so, and  if finances allow maybe you could move....you would be around people and there is staff to look after things for you....just a thought.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand the question.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 

You've made many posts about this noise you hear, had A/C people out and your son Bob, who never hear what you hear.

It's been suggested many times that you talk to your Dr. about this, but have you?

Maybe you could try a sound device or fan to mask this sound that you're hearing.

I can't sleep in a totally quiet room, I hear every sound, so I sleep with a ceiling fan on (regardless of the weather) and an air cleaner next to my bed, to mask 'sounds'.

Maybe you could try a sound machine or air cleaner next to your bed, to mask the other sounds you are hearing.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

I don't understand the question.

@RoughDraft 

Just for some background and understanding, the OP is 81 and a widow living alone in her home.

She hears noises that service people nor her son Bob, who lives nearby her, hear.

Many have suggested she talk to her Dr., consider assisted livng, etc., to no avail.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   Did you ever see an otologist?  If you have a hearing condition, which you very well may have, there us treatment for it.  First you must be tested and diagnosed.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

When it meets the number it makes so much noise but no one hears or admits it. And I am going nuts.

I have a programmable thermostat & they're sold at most hardware & big box stores. Honeywell makes a good one that's very easy to install & maybe your son or a friend could help you. I'm sorry you're still struggling with this noise problem....Best Wishes.

Honored Contributor

Thermostats don't make any noise.   It's the heating/cooling unit itself that would be making the sound.    My old heat pump (now replaced) sounded like a garbage truck when it went on.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sad to say, this poster seems like a very nice lady who doesn't take any of the good advice given to her on many, many posts.

White noise machines, fans, etc. have all been suggested. Hearing tests have been too but to no avail. It's hard to help someone who doesn't take the help offered.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 

are you reading the suggestions left here for you?

I am very sorry about your situation.❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~