Honored Contributor

Re: What kind of carpet cleaner do you have?

@SouthernBee  I own a Bissell and it works like a dream.  Really cleans my carpet well.  Last month I purchased a spot cleaner by Bissell for on the spot jobs.  I purchased both at QVC.  

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@eddyandme,

Stanley Steamer has cleaned upholstery and carpet for me in the past.   Yes, they do put furniture back in place before the carpet is completely dry, but pieces of foam padding are used underneath all furniture legs to protect the carpet and prevent any stains/marks.   

Good to know, @RedTop,  I assume the foam absorbs the moisture also.  Usually, I wait a good twenty-four hours to move furniture back.  Then, to the next section, so it's a workout!  May consider Stanley Steamer next time around.  Thanx.

Honored Contributor

A paid professional.

Respected Contributor

Due to folks with allergies and asthma in the family I gave up on carpet cleaners after multiple allergists told me to never clean carpets with water.  Once the water gets into the padding you have a perfect mold growth environment.  

We have some carpeted rooms upstairs (very light beige) and I have a company come out and professionally dry clean them twice a year.  Carpets still look brand new with no stains, mold or odors.

I had a Hoover carpet cleaner, but gave it away.

Honored Contributor

The kind that has two legs and two arms.

Respected Contributor

I have a Bissell but find spot cleaning, especially after pet accidents easier with a brush and a 6HP or stronger shop vac. The shop vac really sucks up the moisture way better than any Bissell or Hoover carpet cleaner. I have alose used Rug Doctor brand. They all seem to have similar suction which is all less than a good shop vac. With carpet it is all about sucking up the moisture as much as possible and fan drying. We don't have many carpet cleaning services around here like Stanley Steamer, so those services tend to cost extra because they have to travel more than 50 miles to your home. A shop vac is cheaper, but the best is not to have carpet. I'm working on that. I know carpet adds more "value" to your home than vinyl, but vinyl or ceramic is way easier to clean and maintain for allergies and what not. Wood would be a second best then I guess carpet. Sealed concrete would be up there with vinyl/ceramic.
Honored Contributor

I have a Hoover All-Terrain and then, once we got the dog and I had the need for something small for spots, I got the SpotBot.

Before I had this Hoover I had a Bissell and not only did it do a poor job (not enough sukkage for one thing Smiley Wink), but it was horrible to clean the parts when I was done.  The Hoover does about 95% better job and it's easier to clean the parts.

The SpotBot is just great for its use.

Honored Contributor

@Ainhisg: Previously had two different  carpet cleaners that were difficult to clean and not happy with the results and lasted no longer than two years. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo: I was researching the Hoover cleaners and they had some of the better but still mixed reviews. The rug doctor is good but was afraid it would be too big and heavy. Southern Bee 

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme: Had two Bissel and not happy especially difficult to clean. Southern Bee