Honored Contributor

What kind of Dinette Set did..................

you have growing up?    I was born and raised in Chicago.  We lived in a 5 room flat with one bathroom.  There were 5 of us living in the flat.   We ate in the kitchen with what we would call now a "Retro kitchen dinette set".  The legs of the table were chrome and the table top was some cheap, heavy plastic material.  Oh, the chairs, they had a seat but the back was not attached to the seat.  It was shaped like a half moon.  How about you?    HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: What kind of Dinette Set did..................

We had a dining room, but along one was was a breakfast bar (as we called it).  Just a long table attached to the wall.  We sat on wooden bar stools my dad made.  So basically we were sitting in a row with our faces to the wall - real conversation killer!  Our home only had two bedrooms, one bath.  Three girls slept in the same room - it seemed like a long room back then, but sure it really wasn't. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the home I grew up in we had the retro look table with a light gray top, chrome legs, and wide chrome trim on the edge of the table.   Our 6 chairs had chrome frames with thick gray plastic covered backs and seats, with a chrome scroll and loop design on the top.   The chairs have been gone for ages, but the table is in my basement.   

The very first table table and chairs Mom and Dad used when they started out in the basement of their house, is actually still in their basement along with the wood cookstove and the white wooden Hoosier cabinet.   

Honored Contributor

Military issue table and chairs that were all metal and painted with the most unattractive colors...Woman Tongue Oh the joys of growing up a military brat.

Respected Contributor

I remember two different sets. First we had the classic 1950-60's chrome set with the plastic laminate table top and then we "graduated" to a "Colonial" style faux wood round table with 4 wooden chairs.  Good meals around those tables!

Respected Contributor

The first set was one of those metal retro sets - cherry red.

The second set was this real modern looking maple set with almost a space age kinda look - very clean lines.

Good times back then around the table!! 😀

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

We had the table that was built for my great-great grandfather, the Sherrif, in the county jail by a prisoner.  The prisoner was called Dr. Dedge, a dentist that implanted a plate into the head of one of his patients and screwed horns into that so the man would have horns like a sideshow person.  My parents are still eating off it today.  It was one of those county jail things in rural America before the mid-1800s.  That is about as old as things get in our rural town/county.  I suppose it is one of the oldest antiques in our family.

Respected Contributor

We had the 50's chrome table with plastic top in the kitchen, but mostly ate in the dining room.  Mahogany table with 6 chairs with spidles holding the back.  It opened up to  longer by pulling apart and putting two extender board in it for Holiday dinners, etc. for guests.  Had matching corner cupboards.  My mother crocheted a table cloth for it and I remember her stretching it on the frame with nail like hooks when it was washed and starched.  What a lot of work back then.

Honored Contributor

We had a pale yellow chrome dinning table,with the chairs to match ,does anyone remember how crumbs would get caught under the top of table around the edges under the metal ? I would take toothpicks to remove the crumbs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Big, solid wood farm kitchen table.  Usually it had two leaves in it, but more could be added so 12 could sit around it.