Honored Contributor

Re: What is your Favorite Style of House?

Federal style has always been my favorite. The more square a house is in shape, the more efficient it is. All of the major rooms in a Federal-style house typically have windows facing in two directions for cross ventilation, helping to keep them cooler in the summer. They typically have less roof surface area helping to hold in the warmth in the winter. They're a pretty basic, easy-to-build style of house that's efficient in terms of building and also operating.

If you build a Federal-style house that's 40'X40' and two stories tall, you end up with a total of 3200 sq ft of living space. But, only 160 linear feet of footing and foundation. (four 40' walls.) If you build a 3200 sq ft ranch-style house that's 40'X80' you end up with 240 linear feet of footing and foundation. (Two 40' walls and two 80' walls.) The one-story ranch will need twice as much roof as the two-story Federal-style home also.

The major rooms in a Federal-style house typically occupy the corners of the structure so you get two views from each room along with the cross ventilation. It's just a smart way to build a house. You can get more house for less money and the house is cheaper to build and operate. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I always can spot a Greene and Greene house. Love the colors and the use of wood throughout. They are also known as Craftsman.

There are many famous ones in California. I have also noticed that I find the colors  are still being used which makes them easy to find.

Honored Contributor

Two story French style, gray limestone with a large deck. One down the street is also French style, but with brick and rock trim and a park-like back yard.  I'd move there!