Trusted Contributor

Things that once belonged to my mother.

All of her treasures cannot be mine, but it is hard to decide what to keep.

Honored Contributor

I guess my big thing about the actual act of purging-----is being overwhelmed and not knowing where to start.  I am pretty good about getting rid of the stuff but getting started is hard. I would love to have a purging buddy come over and help me dig in. Or better yet a pro who can be non committal and just say YOU DON;T REALLY NEED THIS!I have gotten rid of alot of my old dishes and I am getting rid of the linens too---do I really need 5 sets per bed? But the thought of having to pack all this stuff up to move-------makes my teeth grind-----and that is in my future as a tree fell thru my house and we have to move out so the roof can be taken off and the whole upstairs repaired. Yikes!!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I guess my big thing about the actual act of purging-----is being overwhelmed and not knowing where to start.  I am pretty good about getting rid of the stuff but getting started is hard. I would love to have a purging buddy come over and help me dig in. Or better yet a pro who can be non committal and just say YOU DON;T REALLY NEED THIS!I have gotten rid of alot of my old dishes and I am getting rid of the linens too---do I really need 5 sets per bed? But the thought of having to pack all this stuff up to move-------makes my teeth grind-----and that is in my future as a tree fell thru my house and we have to move out so the roof can be taken off and the whole upstairs repaired. Yikes!!!!

@wagirl- I’m sorry to hear about the tree. 

If I can make a suggestion to you about decluttering since you said you don’t know where to start..... I’m a world class declutterer. Anyway, don’t “flit” around. Pick a room to start. Start small like maybe a bathroom. Start and don’t move on from there until that bathroom is done. Whether that bathroom takes you 30 minutes or 5 days. Then move on to the next room. Save your most cluttered or difficult spaces till last. Then hopefully the process will get easier as you go along. 

Doing it that way, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment as you finish each area. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

For me, it's serving pieces—I am slightly obsessed with having just the right sizes, shapes, and colors of bowls, platters, and such for entertaining, so I've accumulated quite a collection over the years. The problem? I entertain less than half as much as I used to, so the primary purpose for these items now is making me smile when I open my "party cupboard." Granted, that's nice, but I sometimes feel guilty about keeping so much, especially when the majority of the items are large and take up a lot of space.

I am definitely still at the point where I'm unwilling to let many of my treasures go, though I do sell or give away a few every year; my solution right now is just to not buy more. I'm doing pretty well at that lately, particularly since I adopted the mantra, "That is beautiful/such a great idea, but I don't need to own it." If I make myself say that out loud when I encounter a great new find, it really does stop me in my tracks for long enough to think things through.

Good luck with your quest, @MominohioSmiley Happy

Your first paragraph describes me.    I have more than I need of bakers, broilers, casseroles etc.   I have favorite pieces for favorite recipes.    But I don't entertain like I used to.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

@wagirl- I’m sorry to hear about the tree. 

If I can make a suggestion to you about decluttering since you said you don’t know where to start..... I’m a world class declutterer. Anyway, don’t “flit” around. Pick a room to start. Start small like maybe a bathroom. Start and don’t move on from there until that bathroom is done. Whether that bathroom takes you 30 minutes or 5 days. Then move on to the next room. Save your most cluttered or difficult spaces till last. Then hopefully the process will get easier as you go along. 

Doing it that way, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment as you finish each area. 

With all due respect for those of us who have the tendency towards clutter and "don't know where to begin" starting with one room doesn't work.    I have to do one CORNER.    For example, if there is a desk , cabinet or other piece of furniture in the corner, if I can totally purge and declutter that one piece, it's time for a victory dance!

I've tried the one room thing, I make a bigger mess.

And for those who think you could benefit from a "purge buddy", yes, try that if you can.   My DD is a minimalist (wonder why??), very neat & organized, ,she knows where everything she owns is, and she has a great eye for how things work in a space.     I try not to abuse her advice, but she's a great help to me.    And when I declutter a spot on my own, she's very supportive.     

Honored Contributor

I used to make hooked rugs (not latch hook) and even though my arthritic hands can’t cope with it anymore I cannot get rid of my beautiful wool yardage and related hooking paraphernalia.  It’s all just barely crammed into my guest room.  It’s embarrassing.  My husband is a saint by never bringing it up.  When I am back home, I swear I will clean it out:/

Esteemed Contributor

I am trying to make it a point to do a little bit every day otherwise it just gets overwhelming and I get tired and give up. Each day I take a couple of drawers in the bedroom to declutter. Today I did the top of the dresser and reorganized my jewelry boxes and got rid of some stuff. Tomorrow maybe two or three drawers. As far as the closet, that’s a two day project. One day clothes and one day shoes and purses. I have to many purses and will be selling some. 

Esteemed Contributor

Finding it hard to downscale on coats and jackets. Our weather is all over the place in the Midwest and I keep thinking I'll need the variety of choices. I did stop purchasing new outerwear a couple of years ago.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Like @Mom2Dogs, I have nothing that is still a problem area. 

My purging and decluttering started a year before I retired, and has been an ongoing project for 7 years.   This house filled with excess stuff during the 16 busiest and most difficult years of my work career when I worked 3 different shifts a week, and had a schedule that changed daily.   During that period of time I focused on my family and what had to be done, like keeping everyone healthy, checking homework, paying bills and college tuition, doing laundry and getting to the grocery store.

I can’t relate to having multiple closets filled with just my clothes, or having lots of handbags/pairs of shoes, makeup, or special storage areas for numerous books, candles, extra dishes, etc.   I’m not a shopper, I don’t like to spend my money, and I’m a minimalist when it comes to what I need to live my life.   

I can relate to clearing out a loved ones home in a short amount of time after they die, and bringing a ton of their stuff into my house to sort.   I’ve done it twice, and my husband brought many things from his mothers home when she passed 7 years ago.   It took time to let some of those items go in ways that brought peace and closure.   

I don't need to read a book on how to let things go, or how to get organized, I just needed to have time to look at what was here and make a decision on what to do with it, and then get it out of here!   I also needed to light a fire under the other 3 people who live here to start looking at what they have, and what they need.   Right now, every personal item type thing that belongs to me, would fit in the hatch space of my Toyota Highlander.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop..You have had your hands full with a wild work schedule and a family...my hat is off to your!

My push to purge was moving....The house DH and I live in since our marriage 40 years this year is the one he and his ex lived in!!  

It was not decorated at all so I have put my stamp on it but I'd like to pick out a house on my own....for what ever reason we cannot sell this house, much to my extreme disappointment.  

Your comment about fitting your things in the car reminded me that I told my husband that our house is so move ready I could pack us up...with no help from him...in one day...and I really think I could do it...just wish I would get the chance to do it.....I'm gonna die here, and yes, I now to those might say appreciate what you have...I do....we all have dreams........