Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the appeal of "Christmas in July"?

I'm happy for people that enjoy x-mas in July. For me, however, I find it to be fairly revolting.
Honored Contributor

It seems to take extra mental effort to even think about Christmas when it's 95 degrees outside. I don't want to expend the energy and I'm just not interested. It's hard for me to understand why anyone would be enthused about it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I have always felt that it's totally inappropriate and just QVC's way of getting ahead of the competition. There are no stores here in NY that do this and they don't acknowlege it on their websites either. To me, marketing Christmas in July is a total turn off.
Valued Contributor

Dunno. I'm Jewish, so the whole concept is lost on me. I also get tired of the month-long CIJ movie marathons. What it communicates to me is that Christmas is the only time people should think of their fellow man. Bad message.
Respected Contributor

Not a fan of CIJ, but I can see the appeal.  As others have said, some people just LOVE Christmas -- the overall feel, the look, the cookies,  the family time.  Christmas can be emotional (in both good and bad ways), and CIJ plays up the positive emotions of Christmas.   No harm in that.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

To be honest, the appeal of CIJ on QVC is lower prices on new merchandise.  I'm always anxious to see all the new items that are shown then.  This year the Q is offering sale prices on some of the older merchandise that I've seen and liked but just never ordered,  now I order and save a few $$ too.  It's all about the Christmas decor and buying a few gifts early on to me. 

Housecat, I hope you can get in the spirit this year and enjoy the Holiday season when it comes around. 

Honored Contributor

@Danielle46 wrote:
I have always felt that it's totally inappropriate and just QVC's way of getting ahead of the competition. There are no stores here in NY that do this and they don't acknowlege it on their websites either. To me, marketing Christmas in July is a total turn off.

I'm in my mid 50's and in Ohio, all my life, clear back to the days of downtown shopping in only mom and pop local stores, there has been Christmas in July promotions by retail.

Love it or hate it, I think it originated to bring in some business during a very slow retail time, when people were otherwise occupied (rural areas with farming work, town folk with kids at home from school and vacations) and needed to be enticed to come inside un air conditioned shops and stores, and boost the bottom line of the local retailers.

As retail grew, so did the practice and scope to what we see today.

Honored Contributor

I love the CIJ programming, and always have. I have always loved Christmas, and gone all out, with decor, food, gifting, volunteering, and enjoying the entertainment of the season through plays, concerts etc. 

Some people see Christmas merchandising at any time of the year as an offense to the true meaning of the season, but it is, only if you let it be.

I can't control anyone else's behavior, thoughts, or feelings, but I can my own. I don't have to buy hundreds of presents for every distant acquaintance in my life, or spend thousands of dollars each year on new and excessive lighting and decor, if I don't believe it represents the season. I can choose not to participate in that way, yet not be offended by those who do. 

I can choose to skip any type of programming on any channel that doesn't meet my needs or likes. We now have hundreds of channels to choose from, and can look at guides before we even tune in, so as not to even expose ourselves to endless sappy holiday movies or shopping channel extravaganzas, if we desire not to partake. 

I can understand people who don't find joy in the season, for many reasons, and people who don't celebrate the season for religous or personal reasons wishing the reminders weren't there. But in reality, I don't relish bikini/beach season, because I don't enjoy that lifestyle, yet I don't deny others the pleasure of the sun and the beach. I just don't participate, and amuse myself with other things during that season.

For me, I guess it boils down to the fact that anytime we are bringing people together where fun, peace, love, sharing, giving, kindness, and other positive experiences are shared, it can't be a bad thing, even if it is out of synch with the calendar.

Esteemed Contributor

I like pretty things and decorating my house for really any Holiday. CIJ for me, just gives me ideas for Christmas. All the craft stores around me have or are in the process of receiving Holiday merchandise.

I can sit back when it storms or is too hot and humid to work in the garden and work on craft projects that I alsways wanted to do and never had time because I was working.

I am not one of those that has their Christmas shopping done by August....I do that in December.

Respected Contributor

@travelknit wrote:

I agree...it's just a gimmick to get people thinking about holiday shopping and buying. I've been avoiding those shows because I don't generally get in the Christmas spirit until the weather gets much cooler. Smiley Happy 

I agree.  I do not like Christmas in July but it must make retailers money or they wouldn't do it.  It's all about the money.