Honored Contributor

Re: What is the appeal of Mackenzie-Childs for the kitchen/home?

@webbgarner1 wrote:

@NickNack   Thank you !

@webbgarner1   You're welcome.  I just wanted to add that they have baking dishes in the enamelware though, so it is oven safe.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I only have a couple of Mackenzie Childs decorative items that were gifted to me. Nothing you would eat out of.

Honored Contributor

I have a cake stand and a huge tray in the parchment color, but in general it is not my thing, but I would have no problem with a few plates (especially dessert plates) or mugs or other pieces that were hand wash. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've never understood the appeal of the line in the least. 

I find it to be so much black, and way too big and loud prints. I've never seen a single thing in the line I could say I would want. But then I'm not into the Rae Dunn stuff or Pioneer woman much either. What little of the Mackenzie stuff I've seen looked like it would chip easily and the graphics would peel off easily too. Hope that isn't the case for the price people are paying!

Trusted Contributor

I buy the products for display only.  The dinnerware and glassware are simply too fussy for me - if it doesn't go into the dishwasher, it doesn't come into my house.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Years ago, I went on an open-house tour, where people allowed strangers to come into their homes and look around (fund raiser).  This one was on Canandaigua Lake in NYS (which is somewhat close to the place when MC is made), which is very pricey and has VERY NICE homes and mansions. One such home was FILLED with MC furniture and accessories.  If there was a non-MC piece in that home, I don't remember seeing it. As my husband likes to say, it would make your eyes bleed it was so busy.

I like MC, but in moderation.

@Peaches McPhee - I have to agree with your husband!

Honored Contributor

I think you are over thinking it.  It either appeals to your aesthetic or it doesn't.  I watch the shows and there are pieces that I love,  pieces I would use mainly as decorator items in my dining area.  However, the prices do not appeal to me.  Too expensive for me. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  THe aesthetic appeal isn't what I was referring to; it was the fact that the items appear to be very high maintenance for kitchen use. Add in the fact you can't freeze or microwave the items, you can't put them in the oven (unless they are specific oven items) and the prefer handwashing.....I wonder why that appeals to people. Fine china...ok. But paying $$$$ for thinly coated enamel over steel? What is the appeal of that?

My take is that these specific items are purchased by those who use them in a very limited capacity; don't mind hand washing items; are collectors who display them and rarely use them due to what they are made of. The pattern or design is irrelevant from all of that.