Honored Contributor

Re: What is better HE top load or front load washer

Just my opinions and observations

Front loaders that are truly commercial at the laundromat are amazing, but the ones made for the home market don't seem to be as good, and based on what I've seen at other's homes, the stories I've heard in reviews, here on the forums, and on some facebook pages I frequent, I'd not even try a front loader for home. 

Top load washers without an agitator don't make sense to me, but I've never used one. I'm pretty firm in what I want in a washer. FULL FILL, HOT WATER WASH, WARM WATER RINSE are absolute musts for me. I also want an agitator. I found all this in the Speed Queen. Bought the top of the line top loader a few months ago and while it operates much different than I'm used to (there isn't that heavy swish swish swish of a standard washer, much slower sounding movement of the water through the clothing) I'm getting great results and love it. 

I also don't want a front loader because once the load starts, you can't stop and open it to add product, extra clothing, check your water level or sudsing level. I like to be able to open it up throughout the cycle if I need/want to.

Honored Contributor

You've had a lot of advice, but my decision was based only on my own personal preference, and knowing I wasn't getting any younger.

I decided against a front load washer just because it's always been hard enough on my back to reach into the normal front-loading dryer and I didn't want to have to deal with that in a washer, too.  So, depending on your physical limitations, if any, that may or may not be something to consider, @viva923 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I've had both and I prefer a top loader. I bought a Speed Queen top loader w/agitator 4 years ago and got rid of a Maytag Neptune front loader that did not clean well.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always had a top loader in my former house. Now, my current house doesn't have a laundry room large enough for side by side washer/dryer. Had to go with a front loader and stack the dryer on top.

I'm not crazy about the front loader including the extra maintenance cleaning the gasket, etc. I would rather a top loader.

Esteemed Contributor

Good grief - do my homework? Please don't lecture. That said, I've had top load washers for years. I replaced my 17 year old Sears washer/dryer last year with a top load GE washer and dryer from Lowes. DH and I are retired and both of us are quite happy with our mid price-range duo. I'm glad I bought another top load washer....works well for me.

Honored Contributor

thanks guys for your input,

am going to hold off for another month or two. ONE to save more money incase i do decide to change and TWO, let me think more about it. do not want to make a rash decision and kick myself around the block.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a pair of Samsung front loader washer/dryer set. I have a love/hate relationship with them. I think it depens on how much and what type of laundry you have. I have a ton of blankets and king size bedding so the front load is such a convenience. What I am not crazy about is the maintainence of it or the longer wash cycles for a load. I also miss being able to do a small load. If I did not have the king size bedding then I would be tempted to purchase the agitaor top loader.