Honored Contributor

Re: What is best way to clean a neglected toilet? Yuck.

Your method should take into consideration whether the offender is connecting to a city sewer or a septic tank.

We have city sewers and I find that an overnight soak with a SMALL (1/4 cup) amount of Chlorine bleach will help a lot.

Having done that, the Clorox wand disposable cleaning pads really are quite good. You may have to repeat 3 or 4 times, using a fresh pad each time, but you should be making progress after your second pad or so.

Septic tanks can be very dainty, and chlorine bleach can be a bad idea. Start with a HEFTY (2 cups or more) overnight soak of white vinegar, then try the Clorox pads mentioned above.

Not a pleasant task, but gratifying if/when you're successful. 

GOOD LUCK!

Honored Contributor

Toilet installation is expensive.  Lowes in Schererville, Indiana charged us $149 per toilet.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

ZEP toilet bowl cleaner from Home Depot.

Trusted Contributor

If it's rust, don't use bleach.  That will only make it worse.

Honored Contributor

Zud and Bar Keepers Friend both are good cleansers.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Toilet installation is expensive.  Lowes in Schererville, Indiana charged us $149 per toilet.         Lowe's subcontracts it out so it ends up being more.

Respected Contributor

Kaboom toilet cleaner - good stuff.

Trusted Contributor

For the hard water rings at the water line and that area underneath the rim, a pumice stone works great. And it does not scratch the porcelein.

There are also some good videos on youtube on how to clean a disgusting toilet.

We had some tenants that left the toilet truly disgusting; I don't think they ever cleaned it. Between watching the videos and using the pumice stone the toilet sparkled once again.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

Your method should take into consideration whether the offender is connecting to a city sewer or a septic tank.

We have city sewers and I find that an overnight soak with a SMALL (1/4 cup) amount of Chlorine bleach will help a lot.

Having done that, the Clorox wand disposable cleaning pads really are quite good. You may have to repeat 3 or 4 times, using a fresh pad each time, but you should be making progress after your second pad or so.

Septic tanks can be very dainty, and chlorine bleach can be a bad idea. Start with a HEFTY (2 cups or more) overnight soak of white vinegar, then try the Clorox pads mentioned above.

GOOD LUCK!

Please take care using Clorox pads after vinegar. You could get nasty fumes. I know you are rinsing well between products.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@violann wrote:

GOOD LUCK!

Please take care using Clorox pads after vinegar. You could get nasty fumes. I know you are rinsing well between products.

Or products with ammonia in them....My mother thought if she had the window open she would be OK....no....she ended up in emergency...