Honored Contributor

Re: What household cleaner removes rust stains from various surfaces

The rust stains you refer to are what I lived with daily until we connected to public water nearly 20 years ago.    

Cleaners like Comet, Soft Scrub, etc., will not remove older rust stains.  

CLR and Iron Out will remove the old stains in the sink and bathtub if you let them soak in the solution for awhile.   Both are very strong cleaners and need to be used in a well ventilated area.   

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1"He lives in senior housing"

No maintenance staff on the property?  They are the ones who should be getting rid of the rust in the bathtube & sink.  It's their job.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac, almost can't get routine maintenance done. I had to clear a stopped up bathroom sink drain. Useless. But, I agree with you. They should since he has no control on the water coming into his apartment. It's "city" water.
"To each their own, in all things".
Super Contributor

I second Barkeeper's Friend.  Made a paste with it and scrub and let sit for awhile. My daughter left a metal can on her tub and the rust stain wouldn't budge..  But Barkeeper finally got it out.

Esteemed Contributor

I've used Coca Cola to successfully get rust stains out of beige carpeting but I don't know if rubbing it on solid surfaces would do anything but if all else fails you could give it a try.

Honored Contributor

CLR

Respected Contributor

I have found that the "magic eraser" works wonders on rust removal on even granite.

Honored Contributor

I would first try Soft Scrub or Lime Away.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Thanks again everyone, for all the great suggestions. My brother has serious lung disease so I have to be very careful what cleaners I bring in to use. I'll test out some of these mentioned here for how potent they smell and then will go from there.
@Katcat1, I hadn't thought of Soft Scrub so that's a possibility (and I have some), I also think I have Lime Away, so I'll add both those to my bag of tricks. Thanks again.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

TryShock-it-clean. It is available on HSN. I have used it for years on just about everything and it is safe on all surfaces. It even removed red lipstick from my carpet. If you use it on carpet, test a small spot for steadfastness first. It is fantastic!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖