Honored Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

Had to find this thread again and couldn't remember the exact title, lol. Wanted to see how everyone is doing... or am I the only one not done yet? I haven't kept at it like I probably would have liked, but am still plugging away.
Working on kitchen cabinets, one or two per day, along with the major appliances. I will just say here that there is a reason why I should never buy certain spices, vinegars, etc., ended up dumping several that had expired dates, of more than a year, I will not be replacing those, but on the bright side....more space in the cabinets, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I'm going through paperwork.  

I've found a relatively local shredding place that will shred papers with sticky backs (like lots of those old QVC invoices) plus computer hard drives, along with shredding normal paper items.

A couple of months ago I donated all the early 90s work clothes I had.  Suits and dresses and wool slacks and so on.  The hardest part was making the inventory and taking pictures so I can list them for tax deductions.  Also, the local museum's "white elephant" drive that I gave them to picked them all up.  Plus some china, and other things that I think they could sell reasonably well.  I was so happy not to have to physically drive carloads of items anywhere.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I purged a lot when we downsized homes 2 years ago. Now every January and July I pull clothes I haven’t worn in the last 6 months and take it to Salvation Army. On Thursday I took two bags full. 

Honored Contributor

I was a slacker, but packed up two boxes for goodwill.  More will be coming.  I am in agreement I am going to do it, but I have to be in the organizing mood.

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
Had to find this thread again and couldn't remember the exact title, lol. Wanted to see how everyone is doing... or am I the only one not done yet? I haven't kept at it like I probably would have liked, but am still plugging away.
Working on kitchen cabinets, one or two per day, along with the major appliances. I will just say here that there is a reason why I should never buy certain spices, vinegars, etc., ended up dumping several that had expired dates, of more than a year, I will not be replacing those, but on the bright side....more space in the cabinets, lol.

@Snicks1

I cleaned out my spice cabinet the other day as well. I threw away some older spices, combined some that I somehow had two containers of, then made a list of things I am out of or nearly out of, and picked those up at the store the following day. 

I've been slowly packing up Christmas and putting it away, and cleaning out the occasional drawer or closet. I need to spend some time in the basement. Ugh!

Respected Contributor

We're getting ready to put our house up for sale, DH retired and we're downsizing.  I'm doing major purging, it is a ton of work.  The house we're moving to does not have a basement, so everything in our basement is going!  All the stuff I thought I'd "need", well, I don't need it and my children don't want it and I'm not taking it to the next house.  

Honored Contributor

@Hayfield, congratulations to your DH on his retirement and good luck on downsizing and moving to a new home.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Purged my guest bedroom, that has a closet filled with my clothes and handbags, an armoire and wall unit....   They are still all full, but there is nothing piled on the bed now.  The room looks great and everything has a place.  That's a start!

Now I'm in one of the middle bedrooms with our exercise equipemnt and a wall unit with 250 of my cookbooks!  Got to work on which cookbooks I need to donate.  That closet is also filled with my things, and could use a good purging.  I'm going to be concentrating in here and my goal is part with at least 1/5th of what is in there.

I LOVE cooking and use most of what I have,  but some of my spices could use some updating.  I gave one of my S-I-Ls an 18QT Nesco that I purchased 25 years ago, when it was a great and well made brand....  but NEVER used it.  It was always too big, so I used my others instead (only when I'm entertaining).   I may give my other S-I-L my 12 QT. 

I started purging the bins in my basement last month and had 6 huge bags to donate to the Salvation Army.  I would rather donate items, and have several charities who have benefited well over the years.

I'm inspired!

Respected Contributor

A couple of months ago I purged my clothes closet filling 6 big bags of gently used and new items.  I was amazed to see all of the tags hanging on the clothing.  This past week-end I attacked a coat closet and again found new items there also.  Another two bags are going to Salvation Army this week.  I hope someone else will get some good use from these items.  Feeling like I am on a roll here...........

Trusted Contributor

I took a box of eight pairs of shoes, a bag of clothes and miscellaneous soft items over to Goodwill this weekend.

My goal is to take something over at least once a week, or have it bagged or ready to go.

I think I will put up a picture of an organized closet up for inspiration and affirmation to keep me going.