Honored Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

I'll get to it, but not this soon. Will probably start with the linen closet and then move into the kitchen.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
I'll get to it, but not this soon. Will probably start with the linen closet and then move into the kitchen.

@AuntG  Funny! I just finished the kitchen and I'll be working on our linen closet tomorrow! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CAcableGirl2  Thanks for starting this thread! It's good to see at least a couple of threads to keep us all motivated!

Glad to hear of your kitchen purge. I had finished clearing out the excess dinnerware a couple of days ago and just now finished washing every dish/glass/mug, etc...and wiping down all the shelves/cabinets inside and out.

I'm thrilled I got all the excess dishware out of the basement and to charity...only keeping what I couldn't part with and that would fit in the kitchen. Next year I'll purge the dishes one last time at the end of the year. I would like to get it so there are no dishes/bowls in the cabinet above our fridge...so need to pare down al the plates/bowls overall by 3 more piles. It's going to be even harder than the 1st purge, but when I look at it all it still seems way too much. At least for now it's manageable since everything is in the kitchen Smiley Happy

All the cabinets along/underneath the counters have also been cleaned,reorganized. Thankfully nothing needed purging in those cabinets. They contain our bakeware, slow cooker, cookie sheets, cutting board, cooling racks and on one side of one cabinet has our various potatos and onions in a 3 tier set of bins.

Here are pics of the dinnerware/glassware cabinets all cleaned/orgainzed.  I just finished. Every glass, mug and plate has been washed (by hand...never use a dishwasher!). One of them holds my collection of mugs DH and I both enjoy using Smiley Happy

This is what I call our 'everyday' cabinet'...

P4490262.JPG

Cabinet above the fridge...

P4490259.JPG

Mainly glassware...

P4490258.JPG

Our mug cabinet...LOL

P4490254.JPG

And the mug I'm using today and DH is using one of the 'Alpine Toile' mugs  Smiley Happy

P4490252.JPG

Honored Contributor

I just finished purging my catalogs. Now if I can talk my husband into putting them into the recycling bin, I’ll be happy. I also broke down and tore up some empty shipping boxes. My habit of holding onto things ‘just in case’ is not a good habit to have. 

Honored Contributor

I do use my regular old vinegar to clean the drains, the tile and other things. The vinegars in my pantry are flavored vinegars I use in cooking; such as malt vinegar, balsamic vinegars, rice wine vinegar and red wine vinegar. These vinegars are supposed to be good, if sealed, until they are cloudy, but I will check with each company. 

Honored Contributor

I have always been good about purging so I don't have a lot to get rid of....but I did go thru Christmas things as I put everything away....I got rid of several things.  I also found two pillows that have not been used in a couple of years so those are going...I am always looking to clean things out!

Valued Contributor

Ten years ago I was promoted to assistant office manager@ a government agency. I was 115 pounds.@ 4 feet and 11 inches.I excersize daily.  Then I gain 35 lbs and stop excersisizing ,trying to so solve daily issues can be stressful. Then I woke up,due diligent to  my  faith,,family and  myself then to my work environment.

Since March 2017 until now 113 lbs. I when back to daily excersisizing and cutting back on starches and sugar and  start Excersisizing.again. I feel great.  So I have been purging a lot of clothing..

One must take time to take care of your personal being. I also have been  purging from each room in my house, less cutter. From furniture to colthing, purging  is a great release.

Honored Contributor

This book is a quick, easy read. It came out in the mid-90’s.  

So many good ideas showing how to love your life w/ less.

Highly recommend!

4BBC3E20-352D-4FA8-89F4-A27E295F07F4.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Today I cleaned out the fridge. Felt great. Purged the pantry of 'stuff' no one eats. Any purge feels great to me. As poster said, when purging is ongoing you don't have that much to tend to. I went minimal when we moved in April. Wasn't so easy for husband so he stored some things in his parents big basement. We don't miss anything we left behind. We'll have another garage sale this spring. Goodbye stuff. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

Happy New Year, everyone!  I enjoyed reading everyone's responses ~ very uplifting.  As for me, I'm tired.  I started my purge yesterday and have worked on it most of the day today.  I have three big plastic garbage bags full of clothes as well as quite the pile of household items ~ knick-knacks, holiday decor, small pieces of furniture, etc ~ all ready to be donated.  Before bed I'll finish going through the dresser and get rid of a few more things. 

We have a burst pipe near our guest bedroom ~ this was the thing that started the purge.  I have to clear things for the plumber who is thankfully coming tomorrow.  While working on this disaster I thought to myself how smothering all of this stuff is.  What I wouldn't give to have half the cash I spent on all this stuff.  Knowing how I am, this is going to be tough but I swear to myself this is the year to cool it with spending.