Respected Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

I haven't been posting much here lately either, but mostly because I haven't really been purging much lately. Between everything that is coming into the house in the way of gifts and that fact that I've just been busier than usual, decluttering and organizing has gone by the wayside. Plus I have extra "piles" sitting around that I don't usually have out, like the wrapping paper and boxes, so I feel less organized than usual anyway. I'm hoping to get back into it a bit after the holidays are over, when I can put everything away and back to normal. 

I have managed to add a few very small things to the donate bag: one book, 3 sweaters, 2 shirts and one small toy. I tossed a broken hanger, 3 cosmetic items that weren't working for me, a tube of vaseline and recycled a magazine. That's been about the extent of it. Congrats to everyone that is managing to continue to purge thru the holiday!

Trusted Contributor

I haven’t purged much lately but, am getting back to it.

My husband has been home much more and that has frustrated things - and me!

Sometimes I cannot believe the things he is willing to keep.

(An old flat potholder with the insulation coming out!?!?!?!?)

So, in addition to discarding the potholder, 😀,  I got rid of a few containers that flowers came in and also about a dozen tea and biscuit tins.  (Always difficult as I think I will use again but, rarely if ever do.) 

Honored Contributor

I stopped off at goodwill yesterday, dropped off some things ,they had a sign up saying they could not take any more clothes for now.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest: The Goodwill I go to has so many clothes they no longer had room for donations of furniture. Fortunately, the nearby ReStore accepts furniture. We probably all need to re-think our clothing purchases, especially for our children who outgrow things so fast. I no longer buy clothing because the price is low. I have to need it, love it and wear it, or back it goes.

Today is Thursday, so that means I will be dropping off at my local ReStore. Volunteers come out to meet you at your car to see if they will take the item or if they will kindly invite you to place it in their dumpster. At least people are trying to keep things out of landfills- that indicates a raised awareness, which is good. I will see if I have anything in addition to an oval mirror that I replaced in the half bath to donate. i often manage to pick up a few Needs there, including six matching mugs in excellent condition for $1.00 as well as a small creamer. I did not move any dishes, glasses or mugs from my previous home. Sold them.

Did not really purge yesterday, but went through two boxes from the garage and re- homed miscellaneous items. One box contained several recipes collected through the years. Looking forward to trying some again.

Honored Contributor

I took a small shopping bag of stuff to Goodwill yesterday while we were taking our recycling. Nothing exciting donated. Just misc. stuff. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

The number one thing I focus on purging this time of year is junk mail and catalogues.   I send the catalogues out of here weekly.   

Respected Contributor

So I need to confess, one of the sweaters I had put in the donate bag got pulled back out the other day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to get rid of it yet. 

I tossed 4 more cosmetic items that I wasn't loving. Tossed a pair of socks with a hole, underwear with a hole, and burned another candle and tossed the glass jar. Definitely nothing exciting there.

Last night my hubby rented some DVD's for him and the kiddos and they went downstairs to watch them. Kids have a TV and DVD player in their playroom and there is a TV and DVD player in our family room. Well, neither DVD player was working. We also had a spare DVD player in our storage room. That wasn't working either. So hubby went out and bought 2 new DVD players and we have 3 ready to go to the trash tomorrow. Usually someone picks up that kind of stuff before the trash guys come, I'm hoping that's the case tomorrow too. I like the idea of someone taking it home rather than it ending up in a landfill.

Hubby also got a big monster treadmill ready to go to the end of the driveway. Yippie! Our previous treadmill was really nice, folded up to get out of the way when we weren't using it. It pooped out a year or so ago and someone gave us this other treadmill for free so we tried it. It is big, and clunky, doesn't fold up and is in the way. Plus it doesn't work great, when hubby runs on it it pops a circuit and stops. No one has used it for a long time, so I'm really glad to see it go. If we decide to ever get another treadmill we'll get one that's easier to move and put away. 

We still have a recumbant bike and an elliptical here, so I'm hoping he doesn't want a new treadmill anytime soon actually. I will be really glad to see that monster gone tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

I've been moving out Christmas things. 

I decided to bust into it all, and while I know I'm keeping more than I should, I have actually gotten rid of more than I thought I would. 

I have a bunch listed for sale on FB and what doesn't sell (some has already) will be donated in January to Goodwill. 

I have quite a few other things I'm ready to list for sale as well, just trying to list a few things each week and keep them moving. 

My real purge season will start after the holidays, as that is when I go through every single closet, cupboard and drawer every single year, and clear out. It is just a routine with me, even though I have been purging all year anyway, I will still do it. Lately I have been focusing on seasonal things, as I sold a lot of fall things back in Sept and Oct. and Christmas things mostly this past month or so. 

Honored Contributor

I have another large shopping bag ready to go to Goodwill. 

I don’t decorate much for Christmas but I have some Christmas decorations that I pulled out, decided I didn’t like them so out they go. Also donating a new roll of wrapping paper that I’ve decided I don’t like. 

I sat down this afternoon and went through my cart thing where I keep envelopes, gift boxes (new) and tissue paper and gift bags and pulled out several things to donate. While I keep my wrapping paper from year to year, I’m not a big “holder on” of gift boxes. I had bought some at the Container Store and I didn’t use them so out they go. 

There is some other small stuff in the donation bag also. 

We still have a lot of worrisome family stuff going on and a gazillion five hundred doctor appointments coming up from this week into January but once those appointments are over I’m going to have my husband pull the stuff out of our little attic area which is accessible through our closet.  The remaining Christmas stuff is in there and just a few other things.  It’s really not bad at all.  I want to go through it all, should take no more than an afternoon, and put anything we keep down in the recently cleaned out basement. I want to end up with nothing in our attic at all. We have nothing at all in the large section of the attic accessible by the pull down stairs. 

I usually kick into a purging high gear in January every year. The clutter from compiling Christmas kind of gets to me so in January I’m ruthless about donating. But our house is really in good shape so except for that attic area, there really isn’t much to purge. But I stay at it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I finally got an estimate to move out some furniture.  I didn't do it yet cause my new sofa is on order but I will probably have the 3 pieces removed next month.  I guess I can count that as a purge.

3 broken flowerpots went in the trash.  They were in the yard so they didn't bother me but it's good to be rid of them.