Respected Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

My purging has slowed down quite a bit this past week. We've gone thru both of the kids clothes/closets and part of the mudroom closet. I still have to take a peek at the rest of the mudroom closet and our winter gear but that's about it. 

I added 2 more tops from my closet to the donate pile and I now have 4 kitchen trash bags of mostly clothes and a few small household items ready to donate. I'm hoping to get them dropped off today, I'm getting tired of looking at them. 

I still have to go shopping and replace some more of the items that the boys have outgrown and I could use some more tops for work. That's why my purging is so continual and ongoing. Some things go but other things are always coming in to replace what's going. If I didn't purge regularly I'd be overrun in no time. 

Trusted Contributor

Doing some of my fall/halloween decorating today.  Threw out some old holiday window clings that no longer stick to windows - time to go!!!

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop- I did my fall decorating on Friday. I pulled out my pumpkin centerpiece and put it on the kitchen table and hung two fall decor items on the wall. I have a fall themed hand towel that's out, and sadly, that's the extent of my fall decorating.

I am not into seasonal decorating other than Christmas but I thought those couple of items looked really cute being out. Maybe I will start to look for some other inexpensive items that I can use for seasonal decorating. I was actually at Dollar Tree yesteray and they have some really cute things but hubby and the kids were with me and I did not feel like browsing the decor with all of them around. 

The family and I ran a bunch of errands yesterday and I finally got the four bags of donations dropped off at the women's shelter resale shop. But we also did a bunch of shopping and brought a lot of items back into the house. The cycle continues, but I guess that is life. Got some clothes for the kids and 2 tops for me, household items, groceries. I just tried not to buy a bunch of unnecessary items, especially from the dollar store. 

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom, I also have a similar situation as you.  I purge items, but then I find myself buying more stuff. 

For example, I've purged items in some of the cabinets in the kitchen.  Then I saw a few things I could use from one of the Cooking in the Kitchen shows.  Before I would not of even thought to purchase them because I did not have the room to store but now that I've thrown out some stuff and I have room I could purchase it.   It's a difficult cycle to break.  I'm trying to be good, but it's not easy.

Honored Contributor

Donating 36 pairs of shoes, sandals and boots-----

24 cookbooks-----so far-----

donation truck coming on Tuesday and wll have more boxes to go----Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

@rnmom, I also have a similar situation as you.  I purge items, but then I find myself buying more stuff. 

For example, I've purged items in some of the cabinets in the kitchen.  Then I saw a few things I could use from one of the Cooking in the Kitchen shows.  Before I would not of even thought to purchase them because I did not have the room to store but now that I've thrown out some stuff and I have room I could purchase it.   It's a difficult cycle to break.  I'm trying to be good, but it's not easy.

@BunSnoop- there is nothing wrong with buying new things if it is a considered purchase and something you will use.  I pretty much have all the kitchen equipment I need, and need to purge things like a breadmaker and duplicate size pans that I no longer use.  I struggle with home decor items and jewelry.  I have lots of both, much more than I can use.  My goal is to get rid of more than I bring in and the things I keep I actually use.

Honored Contributor

It’s a given that as long as we live, we will continue to buy new things.   I don’t have an issue with buying what we need, but I don’t like to spend money and shopping is of little interest to me.

Retirement has helped me continue to clear out my house.  The years I was busy working, a lot of things piled up here. All of that stuff is gone now; I have regained control of my house, by knowing what’s here and why it’s here.   Once and for all I dealt with inherited items that were other people’s special memories.   Everything that means something to me is still here, but several pieces of furniture that took up a lot of space in my house, and my mind, is not.   Burning those items was extremely freeing, and exactly the type of therapy I needed.  

I let things go much easier now.  Even things I sorted thru and saved years ago, have been sorted thru again.   I probably have half of the personal items I had 6 years ago, and am very happy about that fact.   I’ve never given another thought to the items I tossed, or burned.

Honored Contributor

I have been hanging on to a pair of Fu Dogs for years.  All this time I thought they were either my husband's parents or grandparent's.  I appreciate the symbolism behind the Fu Dogs however they are not my particular aesthetic.  I took a good look at them early in the week and saw initials on the bottom - they were made by my husband's first wife's mother.  She was really into ceramics.  I listed them on the facebook marketplace and they were re-homed this morning.  The woman who made them did an excellent job of coloring and glazing them (not sure of the terminology).  Didn't want to toss them.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop  Often times I'll purge things that are starting to look old or don't fit well anymore  and replace them. Since I only have one pair of black, one pair of navy and one pair of brown dress pants I have to replace any of those when they wear out.  Same with jeans and khackis - 2 pair each only , so if anything gets too worn out they must be replaced. those are the grand total of all my full length pants because I live in Fl and don't need them much.

Respected Contributor

We are revamping our guest room and I am getting rid of the bookcase so that means some of my books have to go.

It is almost painful................................................!!!

My husband and I are book lovers but there is only so much room in any home. 

I think I need a glass of wine...........................! Smiley Wink