Honored Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

@gidgetghwrote:

I’m still plugging away. 

Took a large shopping bag to Goodwill on Friday. Totally full. So heavy that I Had to carry it with two hands. A pair of jeans, some other odds and ends. I also took another look at the Tupperware cabinet and donated 12 plastic containers I think. But then I went to Container Store and replaced them with 3 that will work better for us. So that’s down 9 right there. 

Just when I thought I was was done taking things to consignment, I found 11 more things and took them yesterday. 1 regular sized purse, 1 cross body and then 9 things from my version of the gift closet, a full sized chest. I had been thorough in there, but took another look at several of the items and decided I’m not going to give them. I think they’ll sell quickly at consignment though.  I’m kind of changing thought processes on my gift closet. I have some things in there now, but they’re things I’ve bought specifically with someone in mind. Already have some things for Christmas gifts in there.  I think I’m done with the buying of something and putting it away “just in case”. 

I opened another shopping shopping bag this morning and already put one very small item in it. 

@gidgetgh

The dreaded 'gift closet'!

There are those that make fun of it and don't get it, and then those that fall prey to having so much they will never 'gift'!

I used to have a small stash of gift things. They were kind of generic (expensive candles, neutral throws, pretty stationary, nice seasonal containers for my home baked goods, a couple of really nice Christmas ornaments, etc.), but I've cleaned out all but a couple of things. 

I used to need an occasional gift and a lot of smaller gifts at Christmas for various people (teachers, other mom's that helped me out now and then, good buys on toys for when my son would be invited to a birthday party, etc.) but life has changed, and I just don't seem to need things on a moment's notice, or as many unplanned gifts as I used to. 

Now I pretty much just plan the few purchases I need for events. There are still about 4 or 5 things in there should something come up quickly, but life has definitely changed for the gift closet!! 

Honored Contributor

I set another 50 lbs out for trash pickup on Friday, which has now eliminated all of the irritating things in the basement that bugged me the most!  

I unboxed my canning jars, and now that I see how many I have, I will be letting go of at least half of them.   

Teacher daughter is on Spring Break this week, and I’m hoping to focus at least 4 hours of her time and attention in the basement.   I want her to get rid of 2 large pet cages as soon as possible, even if she has to donate them.  

Valued Contributor

I worked on my office today making room for the file cabinet and cleaned the spot where it will sit.  I can't do much in that room until I can move some of papers into the new cabinet.  That will free up floor space for me to work on the rest of the room.  I also store some extra toiletries and makeup in that room and need to organize it and toss anything that is old or past its prime. Anything that I won't use, I will donate if it is sealed.   I added a couple of purses to the donate pile and cleared out some old prevention magazines. 

I wish I didn't have to work this week as I am really on a roll.  Each morning before work I have been looking around for at least 10 things that can be tossed out.  Every little bit helps.

Trusted Contributor

I used the long weekend to clean out the frig and freezer.

I have been procrastinating doing it, but finally got it all done. One of the problems I have with cleaning the frig is where to put the stuff you take out.

My solution was to bring over a empty storage tub! I loaded everything in there as I took it out. That way, if anything leaked, it went into the tub.

When I went to put things back in after I cleaned the shelves, I checked dates and pitched and recycled the containers. It kept everything together and made it much easier.

When I was at Aldi's yesterday, I picked up this paper cloth liner for the frig that you can put in the drawers.

Now my frig and freezer look fantastic and all of the expired products are gone. Neat and organized!

Honored Contributor

I still have a gift drawer, but am slowly donating most of the items.  For "people on my list" now I make sure I do more specific items.  I do have a small plastic bin where I keep gifts for my close family when I buy something a month or two before the occasion.  I no longer need items for last minute gifts like I did when my kids were invited to parties, etc. and also had more family members to gift to.  I have 3 boxes to go to charities this week--items I haven't worn in a while and a couple of decor items I don't need.  Been shredding old papers too and hope to continue on with this to empty storage of this type of items.  Also, am trying to use up various creams, lotions, etc. and not have containers that are half-full and taking up room. 

Respected Contributor

@marky-Welcome! I have had a lot of encouragement from the girls on this thread as far as my own purging goes! I think it definitely helps with the motivation to read about what others are getting done and how nice their spaces look! Please post often and keep us updated on how you're doing!

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio-I totally agree about those small things adding up. I think that's why I feel like I am on a constant purge, it seems like I'm always getting rid of something, if not every day, at least every week. Otherwise I'd be overrun. 

This past weekend we made a Walmart run and I got new sandals for both of my kids. So I took the opportunity to go thru my younger son's shoes. I found 3 pairs to donate and 2 to toss that he's outgrown. I actually have a small pile in my bedroom that I need to donate but I forgot to drop it off when we were out. I hope to get that out this weekend.

We had a couple of warmer days this past week and so I finally got out in the garage to do a small bit of cleaning and organizing. I found a couple of things of the kids to donate and we tossed some old, dirty toys that they've outgrown. There's still more to do, but at least we got a small start on it. It's been neglected for a while and really needs a good scrub down.

I had started a decluttering challenge going room by room back in December and had pretty good momentum going for a couple of months. The last couple of months I've kind of lost my enthusiasm and haven't done much. Now I'm starting to feel like I need to get back to it. It's amazing how things can start to feel cluttered again after only a few months. It's still pretty chilly here, but I'm hoping for spring weather soon so that I can start putting away the winter items and start bringing spring and summer items out. That always helps to declutter when I'm organizing for the change of season. 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop-That's awesome getting all that out of the basement! Hopefully your daughter will come by and help with some of the other things she has down there. It sounds as if she's old enough to be a teacher then she's old enough to store her own items that she wants to keep. My parents didn't give me a choice, they moved and built a new house very shortly after my sister and I moved out, so anything we wanted to keep had to go. We didn't have the option of keeping any of our stuff at their place once we were grown. 

Respected Contributor

I never really had a "gift" drawer, thank goodness. But when my kids were smaller I did used to buy a lot of toys on clearance for those unexpected birthday parties that always came up. We would always have boxes of lego sets and toys on the shelves in our basement. Fortunately, they're getting older and don't get invited to too many parties now so all those extra "gifts" have either been given away or confiscated by my own kids!

Respected Contributor

One thing that's been hanging over my head that I need to purge are pictures.

I have boxes and boxes of photos.  I don't even know who half of these people are.  They really mean nothing to me.  They just keep getting passed back and forth and no one wants to take responsibility for them.

I'm talking about pictures that are decades and decades old.