Honored Contributor

Re: What have you purged today?

I took another large shopping bag, stuffed full, to Goodwill about 3 days ago.  

I have a small Rubbermaid like tote to donate, so I'm using that as my next "shopping bag" and will donate it when full, tote and all.  Right now it has about 12-15 things in it.  All very small items- a little coin purse thing, some stretch bracelets that I didn't care for, things like that.

When it's full, out it goes.

I had two things sell at consignment within the last few days, a purse and a small accessory item.  I'll pick that check up next week.  Saturday is a busy day at the consignment store.  I'm hoping more things will sell today.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I haven't been purging lately but I did finally get my items dropped off at the Salvation Army yesterday. Two large shopping size bags full, one small bag and a small box. It always feels so good to get that stuff out of the house and have a clear spot in my bedroom once again. I do have a few things in mind that I should get together and start another bag, but for now I'm just enjoying having the open space in my room. My bedroom just becomes the storage area for donations because there really isn't any other space on the main floor of the house that is a good spot for it, but I'm tired of it being filled up and looking messy. Maybe I need to look for another spot to store my donations until I get ready to drop them off. Maybe if I leave them out and in the way I'll be more motivated to get them out of the house sooner, rather than have them sit for weeks. Now that's an idea!

Honored Contributor

I have my small Rubbermaid tote just about full and it will be ready to go tomorrow. I found some other things. Too big for the tote so into a shopping bag they went. They’ll also go tomorrow. 

Five of my things (one purse and four clothing items) sold at consignment Friday and Saturday, netting me around $60.  Not a huge financial windfall but better than nothing. 

Honored Contributor

My Small plastic tote and full shopping bag went to Goodwill yesterday. The shopping bag was full of things I thought would be difficult for me to purge....to be honest, some of my stuffed animals. But it didn’t really bother me like I thought it would. I donated 11 or 12. Don’t have a large collection by any means, but I’ve always liked them. There are several I would never ever part with, including a few from childhood and some that have special meaning to me. Would never get rid of them. But I thought I’d be bothered by these that I donated, but I wasn’t. 

Also donated a mini loaf pan. Have never used it so out it went. The tote was full of small things. 

I took two purses, a pair of pants (New with tags) and a few accessory items to consignment this morning. I think that finishes up my consignment possibilities. Now just hoping that my consignment items will keep selling. 

Time to open up another shopping bag.

Honored Contributor

I cleaned our 3 season room today...it is  a beautiful day in our neck of the woods, so time to clean the room so we can be out there on a warm early afternoon....until late spring hits and we are in that space most of the time, until late fall...no heat or air in that room.

I came across some decorative items that I no longer want, a couple of crocks and some other collectible items....I will take most to our local consignment shop to see if they can sell them, what does not sell she donates to a non profit.

I am going to start heavy winter clothes on Thursday...get things washed and slowly put things away and keep fingers crossed for an early spring.

Honored Contributor

all the fake bushes and floral arrangements in the house!  out to the trash along with old baskets & contents (magazines, etc) except for my Longaberger and Peterboro which I thoroughly washed.  

Honored Contributor

I dropped off a large trash bag full of odds and ends at the donation center today, I feel like I am coming to the end of my purge, at least for a while. I will try on and purge my summer clothing when the weather turns warmer as I wasn't in the mood to try all those on when I did my fall/winter clothing. Still debating storage for all my photos, wish I could find a container the perfect size like a file drawer, if that makes any sense.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I have all my photos in albums, by year.  I don't have kids of my own, but have two step kids and a couple nieces that I am close to.  I am thinking about taking the albums apart and giving the girls and 2 step kids the photos.....I do enjoy looking at the old pictures so I am in no hurry to tackle that project.

I worry that when I pass on they might get dumped, not sure why I care at that point....

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, that idea had also occurred to me, about giving my kids/grandkids "their" photos now, but just don't want to, but if I get them organized it will be easier for them later on.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1....I decorate our rather large mantle for the holidays and the coffee table in the family room....not a lot but I have some nice things to change out for the holidays.  I have several things that were my mom's, she has been gone for over 20 years and this year I thought about giving my niece a few of the things from mom....it's hard to part with but she has a little boy and several step kids and i think they would enjoy the accesories.

Mom made a basket out of grapevine, spray painted it white and filled with it with grass and eggs, wrapped in colorful yarn!! ....also several sugared eggs with scenes on the inside... they are showing their age but I cannot throw them away, all hand made.  For some reason this is the first year I felt like I should pass them on.