Respected Contributor

Re: What has happened to color on the walls?

I decided about six years ago I wanted color, color, color on my walls.  That lasted about six months.  Fortunately, I only painted one room.  I think it was a reddish color and it was depressing.  I prefer neutral walls and add color with rugs, furniture, artwork and other decorating accents. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is the way that I look at .......  your home is YOUR castle & you should never decorate it based on colors & trends that are being " pushed" as the current greatest thing .... the colors you choose should be the colors you love & make you happy!! .... I tend to go for light neutral colors & decorate around those colors .. I am now in the process of re- doing the entire house & am having a great time doing it!!!!!! 😃

Honored Contributor

One of the most charming homes I've ever seen (in real life, not in a magazine) was a Craftsman style.  The interior rooms were painted in different, but complementary colors.  The owners used rich but light to medium shades of yellow, rust, and olive.  There was no problem with flow since any portion of one room seen from aanother room coordinated so well that it was not jarring at all, it was pleasant and attractive.

I have soft pinkish beige in my living room, and a soft coral in the bedroom, and a warm yellow in the kitchen.  I have found that artwork actually looks better against color than it does against white.  I prefer warmth around me and white doesn't do that for me.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

image.jpegimage.jpgAfter reading all the preceding posts about grey and white in image.jpgdecorating, I can now understand the choices on Flip or Flop.  While I was sick I watched a lot of the episodes of this program.

Based in California, the couple would buy houses sight unseen and upgrade them for sale.  It seemed that almost every kitchen, bathroom and floor choice was done in shades of grey and white.  Every so often you would see dark cabinetry and flooring.

My walls are pale yellow with accents in varying shades of green, orange / copper, and black.  FL: white walls and white furniture which came with the condo. ACcent colors there: greens and brown:

Sorry about the weird placement of the photos....don't know what I did wrong.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz  On Flip or Flop, I think those are the only colors she knows and ever uses - inside and out.  It gets boring after a while watching that show because you know what the final decorating outcome will be.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@jlkz  On Flip or Flop, I think those are the only colors she knows and ever uses - inside and out.  It gets boring after a while watching that show because you know what the final decorating outcome will be.

Same with fixer upper - always grey and white. IMO - HGTV is sponsored by the companies that make all these home decor trendy items like granite and guartz and SS appliances and paint etc etc etc. The sole purpose being to make the viewers feel this is what they MUST have in their home. And that anything old style is just unacceptable. Sadly, people are dumb enough to fall for it hook, line and sinker.

Honored Contributor

Grey walls are too cold for me.  I want warmth and inviting colors.  My "go to" wall color is Sherwin Williams Dover White, a slightly vanilla white which looks great with everything.

My hall way is papered as is the kitchen because I hate big blank spaces; they're too sterile.

In the Greatroom, I have a dry stacked fireplace with a support beam for a mantle.  I have it covered with antique candle molds we've collected.  The couch is red and has loads of pillows.

Honored Contributor

To answer the OP's question, everything that uses colors does a rotation through the color wheel.  The goal is to entice you to buy new and exciting as you crave variety.

Only those that know the side of the color wheel they are most happy will make good choices.

Choose wisely, you can easily get caught up in the "moment" as you can with the first arrivals of a new season in ready to wear, only in house wear the "mistakes" are more expensive.

Trusted Contributor

@Meowingkitty-----I thought here in AZ all interiors were painted with some kind of brown, anywhere from light to dark.

I painted everything Behr's Pure Ultra White, when we moved in.  Since that time main bathroom has been a bright blue, Beautiful yellow and now in a Terra Cotta (getting tired of that want white again)  Our bathroom has been gray, now Beautiful yellow.  LR/DR has been avery,very dark green, bottom half of same color with white added in. Kitchen has been Beautiful yellow, now a gray w/white cabinets.  The 2nd Bdrm was painted a sickly green, now Midnight blue almost black w/ 1 wall gray. It was my GKs and I was trying to make the room as peaceful as possible.  Now as my Sanctuary, I want it Beautiful yellow.     This is my favorite color; Beautiful yellow is not the name of the yellow.

Sorry for such a long post.-------tedEbear

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems that many of us have similar taste.  I cannot live with colorful walls.  I find them too stimulating.  Most walls in my house are the color antique white (really a light beige) with off-white doors and trim.  The floors are a rich dark-brown wood.  Furnishings are pastels of cream, beige, blue, green, and rose.  My kitchen needed some color, so I got some nice floral curtains with a pale mustard background and pinks and greens.  If I take the curtains down, the room loses so much.  Those curtains really pull the colors in the room together. 

I've always had the same taste, so I tend to keep things until they wear out.  I covered a sofa with a floral fabric that I just loved.  The salesman in the fabric store warned me that it was outdated, but I didn't care.  It wasn't to me.  It was gorgeous.  When that slipcover had to be replaced, I managed to find exactly the same fabric and did it over again.  I just threw that sofa out last year, but I kept the cushions with that fabric to use on a window seat I made for a bay window in my living room.  I never tire of the things I choose because my taste never changes.