Honored Contributor

What frustrates you most about housework?

For me, it's inconsistency. I rarely have time to clean the whole house at once, so it seems there's always a mess somewhere.  I consider myself a tidy person who hates clutter and dirt, but in reality, it's very hard to keep up.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: What frustrates you most about housework?

All of it, LOL!! Really it's just now that I'm older everything takes so much longer to do, and I'm over it.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Regular Contributor

Will clean ALL DAY mostly Sundays. House looks good and by Wednesday or so its back to MESSY!!! What the heck!!!!   IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE !!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dust.  Where does it come from?  Makes me nuts dusting and two days later, I can see it starting again. (and I have an air cleaner attached to our HVAC system).  

I'd love for someone to invent a whole house system that would suck all the dust out of the house weekly.  Heck, I even assist by twirling around the house stirring it up the dust.  I often wonder how the different stores and shops remain so dust free.  I am certain they are not going around dusting all day.

Respected Contributor

You spend a lot of time and put in hard work to keep things clean around the house, and laundry too...by the time it's done, you turn around to have to do it again.  I'm retired now and still like things clean and neat but have allowed myself not to be that particular about things, and not to stress over unfinished stuff. Unless your expecting company, don't sweat it, tomorrow's another day😅

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

For me, it's inconsistency. I rarely have time to clean the whole house at once, so it seems there's always a mess somewhere.  I consider myself a tidy person who hates clutter and dirt, but in reality, it's very hard to keep up.

Yes! inconsistency drives me nuts as well.

I get the upstairs bedrooms and baths all clean and shiny, then move to the next level the next day, and then on a third day to the family room, and by the time I am all through the house, where I started is getting dusty/messy again.

I remember the day when I could clean my whole house, do all the laundry, wash the car and get the yard work all done in one day or so. But not anymore. I physically feel much older than my 55 years should warrant. I just can't physically do what I once did, as pain limits the amount of time I can stay active without sitting down and recouping.

So for me, the most frustrating thing about housework is not being able to do it without pain. I love housework, and have since I was a little girl. I'm never happier than when I'm at home, cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, or mowing. But with the constant pain, I feel the joy of one of my favorite things (keeping house) has been taken away from me. 

Honored Contributor

When the house is clean, no one stops by but as soon as it's messy...

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

Yes! inconsistency drives me nuts as well.

I get the upstairs bedrooms and baths all clean and shiny, then move to the next level the next day, and then on a third day to the family room, and by the time I am all through the house, where I started is getting dusty/messy again.

I remember the day when I could clean my whole house, do all the laundry, wash the car and get the yard work all done in one day or so. But not anymore. I physically feel much older than my 55 years should warrant. I just can't physically do what I once did, as pain limits the amount of time I can stay active without sitting down and recouping.

So for me, the most frustrating thing about housework is not being able to do it without pain. I love housework, and have since I was a little girl. I'm never happier than when I'm at home, cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, or mowing. But with the constant pain, I feel the joy of one of my favorite things (keeping house) has been taken away from me. 

Know exactly how you feel trying to accomplish tasks with pain.....was diagnosed with 2 types of arthritis in 2002.....having a knee replacement this thursday......and feeling very anxious about it......

Honored Contributor

It is boring and monotonous.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably frustrates me the most is the fact that housework is never truly "done" Is a task that is never ending, repetitive and is not a task that has a true endpoint. Secondly is having to do it in great pain and having very little help if any. Im thinking of again hiring someone to do the more difficult tasks. I think once a month would be most helpful