Respected Contributor

What do you use to make your closet / cloths smell good?

I have noticed when I grab cloths I haven't worn for a while then have sorta a smell, not horrible but not fresh.  My home is clean, smoke free and does not stink (lol)

I just wonder what can be put in the walk in closets to keep them smelling fresh?

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you use to make your closet / cloths smell good?

[ Edited ]

I don't know if this is applicable in your situation, but I can tell you from years of commuting by train (especially in the summer months when coats of any type are not worn) that sometimes folks aren't aware that their dresses or suit jackets need to be dry clean.  Sweat from exertion, nervousness or hot flashes is absorbed into the fibers until removed.  Keep them in a closet and they will tinge the air.  Thus, the smell you may be describing.

Febreze will rid you of the odor but remember the smell is still in certain garments.

I have a small sit down makeup table in my closet.  I usually spray my perfume there.  Once when I had sent some new and some older clothes to my niece, she said how nice that they smell like her aunt --- most of the things I had never worn.  They picked up whatever is in the air.  

Sometimes we we cannot smell things because our sense of smell has gotten used to the scent.  

You may want to try hanging your things outside on a breezy day to see if there' s any difference.  Good Luck.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jlkz  I'll try the perfume thing, I can spray it while I'm in there - good tip.

I dry clean all my fall/winter items and tuck them away in a airtight storage container, they always smell fresh and clean.  Jackets and sweaters stored away clean.  I think it just may be my older home and ventulation.  My family always comments on how good my house smells, I normally keep a Sentsy going but I am also a CLEAN FREAK (OCD) so that could be part of it too  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Just thought of this:  if you have carpeting, it might be a good idea to replace it. Too, paint can give an off odor.  Rather than repaint, maybe wash down the walls with something we used to freshen an apartment before renting it out -- TSP worked great in removing smoking residue.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I don't have a lot of clothes so there isn't much that doesn't get worn often. I also live in Florida so one wearing is it then things have to be washed, as they are sweaty. I think using what I have and washing with each wearing does keep my closet fresh.I also put foot powder in my shoes when I take them off so they don't pick up any odors. Since we moved to the tropics we don't have any clothes out that require dry cleaning. The coats and sweaters we kept for occasional travel up north are stored in a cedar closet.

Respected Contributor

In addition to the other suggestions here, you could buy some cedar blocks to freshen the air.  They are at stores like Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon, etc.  You can also put a bowl of activated charcoal in there to absorb stale odors.  Get the charcoal in the aquarium section of a pet supply store.

Honored Contributor

I have found that TJ Maxx has tons of really nice bars of soap, in all kinds of delicious fragrances. I buy them and put them in my dresser drawers and closets.

You can choose what suits you, fruit scents (got some great lemon ones) or something flowery if that is you. I usually choose a clean scent with almond oftentimes. 

I don't notice that my clothing carries a strong fragrance from these, but it does make the closet/drawer and clothing smell better. 

When the smell starts to fade, I put them in the shower and use them up, then get new for the closet/drawers.

Valued Contributor

Funny, I just had a similar conversation with a good friend yesterday. I am an RN. I proudly worked bedside for 30 years of my 35 yr. career. Those clothes and shoes...I would take off in my garage; even in the cold freezing winter and I would carry them right to the washer. My DH would leave a robe for me inside. 

Regular clothing? I got in the habit of steaming my clothes for the week, when I had an admin job. Then, change into comfy clothing after work. I'd leave my clothe she on a hanger on the back of the br door and put it back the next day. Barring any stains, etc.

Now, I'm, far far sooner than I had planned home for good & 100% disabled. I use clothing as needed. I keep dried lavender and cedar in all my closets. It works, subtlety and keeps everything very faintly pleasant smelling. Anise also works, but it's not one of my favourite scents. We live in a small home for today's standards, I need to get help and do the changing of closets twice a year. Ugh! Close to one of the worst chores!

Respected Contributor

For some strange reason my closet has the faint aroma of a Wilson Leather store. Just joking, but happy that my things do not smell like an ash tray. Quit smoking in 1991 and for example, it's a pleasure not to have a leather coat that smells like cigarette smoke. 

Honored Contributor

When I worked I worked in a prison. Omg I'd come home and shower and wash my clothes immediately.  My spouse did the same.

Prior or to switching jobs I worked in an office environment and did the same thing! It's amazing (sadly) how our clothes pick up odors of others.

I always hung my coats outside in my garage before entering my house. I have a very acute sense of smells and can't tolerate heavy perfumes, smoke, and many air freshners or candles.

now living in FL I deal with "dampness" so I keep a "damp dri" in my closets. It's amazing how much moisture is trapped in there and keep closet door cracked to circulate the air.