Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of the tiny homes trend?

Good point about being young, and possessions. I was trying to think what I had when I was in grad school that I could move as many times as I did, to various apartments. I lived in a one-room apartment for a while (moved because it leaked and was dark and depressing.) I moved in an afternoon single-handed, so I couldn't have had much. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Campion wrote:

What a great question for the forum!

1. I agree--way overpriced per square foot.

2. They are not STORM PROOF in some designs. While the house on a trailer is a neat idea, in our area, we get straight line winds and tornados. Twice tornadic or straight line winds came right down our street. Such a small house on no foundation has no chance. So if you are in one--you'd have to evacuate EVERY tornado warning, or take your chances (not good.)

3. The usual lore is that someone who opts for one is out of it in three years. It's very restrictive. People who live in RV's have the knack of living with few possessions. But often they have a home base. Long term, people find it restrictive.

4. In a way, it's as if we are being socially guilted for big houses and "nudged" to consider living in what is actually a SHACK as an option for some reason. They build these for the homeless (nice idea, to get them shelter) but in the "old days" we would have called an encampment of tiny houses a shantytown. 

5. Despite this, I too find many of the designs very tempting and so did my late husband. He wanted to build a cabin for retirement and live in it--showed me a friend's (I didn't like the design but it was large enough even though quite small.) The idea of simplification is very appealing.

We have a home in Florida and a park model camper - a little over 400 sq ft- in Pa where we spend the summer. I don't know how people do it to live with so few possessions. I am always wishing I had some kitchen gadget and missing my nice appliances while we are at camp, or feeling sorry I don't have a certain outfit with me that I'd like to wear. One year we had to call a friend in Fl to overnight us some appropriate clothes for a funeral when a close family member passed away.While our camper has a lot of storage and DH has a shed outside - what you can keep there is limited. basically though we do not tend to spend much time inside when we are there, unless it is unbearable weather we are outside.

As for weather emergencies - our campground has experienced some bad weather history and does have an appropriate building where we could go in an emergency situation. I would certainly not even think twice about getting the heck out of that camper if there were tornado warnings. however that is uncommon in our area.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Even a composting toilet must be emptied sometimes. And what about the washing water- full of soap and chemicals.

I'll admit I'm not into any HGTV shows, so probably know less about this subject than many posting here, but, I was under the impression that many of these tiny homes were being placed in very rural areas where people didn't even have utilities available.

A number of people still live in this country without the utilities most here think essential. The Old Order Amish in our area don't have electric, gas, city water or sewer systems. They do drill a well, and either hand pump or use a gasoline engine to pump water. They heat with wood, and they use no refrigeration or cooling. They are required in this state to put in a septic system that their outhouse sits over, but in reality, we don't often see them used. 

Many people who practice sustained living (and I'd guess that many tiny house people are in that category)  don't use a lot of chemicals but choose natural things for cleaning and washing (vinegar, soda, etc.) and recycle their water for multiple uses. Their grey water is used for watering gardens etc. Even urine can be diluted with grey water and be safe to use for watering.

Composting toilets can be emptied into barrels for that purpose, letting the bacterial levels become safe, then put back into nature as compost.

Granted, not something that everyone would be into, but the entire process is interesting and valuable knowledge to have.

Honored Contributor

@SANNA wrote:

I think that wealth and great life in this country has created a breed of degenerates who just want to be different because they have nothing else to worry about  so they express themselves by this idiocy.

Its the whole thing about looking unkept, growing weird beards, it's the same trend of fake modesty..... Yuck

Wow, judge people often?

So everyone who lives in a tiny space does so because they are a degenerate? 

I've seen very well kept professionals living in tiny homes (online somewhere there was a listing of a number of different people and their tiny homes that I saw awhile back), no weird beards, no unkept home or persons in that bunch.

Why is tiny living any less acceptable than those who live in huge houses with 2.4 bathrooms per inhabitant? Either end of the scale could easily be considered odd, don't you think?

Esteemed Contributor

When I saw them on HGTV I thought my two chihuhuas would love to live there.  As for me, I need more room and since some of them have ladders to get to essential areas as in bedrooms I would not be able to handle it personally.  

Esteemed Contributor

To me, they are the latest goofy novelty for HGTV.  I've given up on most of their shows.  Just nutty.

Anyone who has built a home or remodeled a home knows that you do not come in with a sledge hammer and start tearing the place apart.

I realize that is off-topic, but just one reason I dislike most of their programs.  My husband is a builder and he's done it all and every time he sees anyone destroying any interior like that he calls them an idiot.  I agree.   What's the point?  Things can be torn apart to minimize the mess.

Anyway, the tiny houses are just silly to me. 

I do not want to use a "composting toilet" unless I survived Armageddon. Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

To me, they are the latest goofy novelty for HGTV.  I've given up on most of their shows.  Just nutty.

Anyone who has built a home or remodeled a home knows that you do not come in with a sledge hammer and start tearing the place apart.

I realize that is off-topic, but just one reason I dislike most of their programs.  My husband is a builder and he's done it all and every time he sees anyone destroying any interior like that he calls them an idiot.  I agree.   What's the point?  Things can be torn apart to minimize the mess.

Anyway, the tiny houses are just silly to me. 

I do not want to use a "composting toilet" unless I survived Armageddon. Woman LOL

I agree - when I see them tearing kitchen cabinets to shreds I always think they could be used in a garage or a basement. Esp if you have a basement laundry room. 

We once had a camper back in the 70's that had a composting toilet - it was pretty gross. We had to put chemicals in it to prevent it smelling terrible and that meant it had to be disposed of in a proper waste management at a campground.It was certainly not able to be used as compost. 

I am aware that some people do dispose of wastewater onto the ground in campgrounds but it is disgusting and there are reasons it is against the law. Where we camp currently we are right in a residential neighborhood so if anyone sees a camper not using the sewage system (and yes, some jerks don't) we call the police and they do arrest them.

Honored Contributor

I think they would be unsafe in dangerous weather.  Yes, you could leave, but for the amount you save are you ready to lose everything you own?

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I think they would be unsafe in dangerous weather.  Yes, you could leave, but for the amount you save are you ready to lose everything you own?

Actually - is any house safe in all weather? I live in a hurricane area and my house was built to the Miami - dade hurricane standards where the roof is strapped to the foundation etc etc but the roof is shingles and a high wind could easily take those shingles and leave the entire home exposed to water and wind damage. Not to mention flood or storm surge water getting in. It is impossible to make any home completely weather proof.

Trusted Contributor

The tiny houses do not appeal to me at all. They would make me feel claustrophobic.  I do not consider a 1,200 ft house to be in the tiny catagory.

I haven't ever stayed in a trailor, so I don't know how I would feel about that.  I might be ok with it on vacation, if it were summer and I was spending most of my time outdoors. 

Do the math.