Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of the tiny homes trend?

Years ago, my ex and I spent our summers in an 18 ft. travel trailer.  I liked being there, but mostly because it allowed us to see the USA relatively inexpensively.  I would not want to live year-round in a tiny home like our trailer was even though for those trips, it was a great way to go.

I don't consider anything over 600 feet to be a tiny home, not when the smallest big city apartments are down as small as 250 feet and 400-450 is very common.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Years ago, my ex and I spent our summers in an 18 ft. travel trailer.  I liked being there, but mostly because it allowed us to see the USA relatively inexpensively.  I would not want to live year-round in a tiny home like our trailer was even though for those trips, it was a great way to go.

I don't consider anything over 600 feet to be a tiny home, not when the smallest big city apartments are down as small as 250 feet and 400-450 is very common.

I totally agree with you about the size - greater than 600 ft in my opinion is small but not tiny.

Respected Contributor

I see some tiny houses that make sense and many that don't.  For entertainment purposes, I prefer shows that feature efficient design in all types of dwellings from apartments to small houses to trailers.  I loved the show called Small Space, Big Style.

In my general area, owners of vacant lots have had to put up barricades to prevent access to their lots because people in campers and other types of temporary dwellings had begun to move onto their land.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I could ever do it....I need space...I wouldn't want one of those huge homes with two floors lots of rooms etc...but I do need to have room to move around and places to put my "stuff"...

Right now I live in a  three room apartment...plus bath...and its the perfect size for my needs...I hope I can live here till they toe-tag me.....(and I hope that is a long long time...lol)

Honored Contributor

One nice thing I find when we are home in the summer - it is very easy to clean a small home - esp. one where almost  all the furniture is built in. It takes me and my bad back 2 full days to clean my house but I can clean my camper easily in a few hours, and I don't need a ladder to reach anything like I do at home.

Frequent Contributor

It seems like these tiny home discussions turn into a crusade for RVs. 

Honored Contributor

I'm fascinated by the clever use of space in these homes,  much more innovative than in an RV.   The FYI channel has the best examples and nicest homes.   Their builder on Tiny House Nation is a pure genius. 

I would love to have a tiny house as a retreat in the mountains but I don't think I could live in one full time.   I need my "stuff".   Big downside... those loft beds would be a real PIA to make up,  and on your knees. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think you would have to just put a fitted sheet on the mattress and then just throw a quilt or a comforter on the top. I can't imagine making those beds any other way - you would have to do it one side at a time while you crawl on the top pulling everything toward you as you back up. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm fascinated by the clever use of space in these homes,  much more innovative than in an RV.   The FYI channel has the best examples and nicest homes.   Their builder on Tiny House Nation is a pure genius. 

I would love to have a tiny house as a retreat in the mountains but I don't think I could live in one full time.   I need my "stuff".   Big downside... those loft beds would be a real PIA to make up,  and on your knees. 

I don't have access to FYI channel, but I've watched some episodes of Tiny House Nation and Tiny House World through Amazon and found both shows to be superior to the shows on HGTV with regard to practicality.

Respected Contributor

I'm always amused that they say they want a tiny house, but then when they start looking at them, they complain that they're "just too small."