Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of the tiny homes trend?

They do create an option for those who want them.

It would make more sense, perhaps, to have communities of smaller homes (not "tiny") with neighbors who appreciate the same lifestyle.  Then you'd be able to have proper plumbing and all the rest.  (Although, I am not sure that all tiny homes are always without all those amenities.)

I do think tiny homes seem uncomfortable unless you are in good physical shape what with the ladders to sleeping lofts and such.  That makes me a bit sad since I'd hoped tiny homes would be an alternative for older folks who are planning to downsize.   

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

In my opinion clutter would be an issue in short order.  I would never opt for a tiny home.  I need more space.  I think this is a trend that will end soon.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

There seem to be lots of them that are all on one floor - they don't all involve lofts. 

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

400 square feet-

"All the decking comes apart so you can just throw it in a truck," says Lewis of Aaron and Meredith&squot;s 400-square-foot movable residence.

Designer Kim Lewis on the home's colorful, extra-wide steps, which double as additional seating for outdoor entertaining.

A countertop that runs from wall to wall, plus a movable island, gives the couple plenty of prep area. Open storage and hooks for pots and pans are other good uses of space.

Sliding doors turn the deck into a true extension of the home.

Barn-door track acts as a space saver in place of standard bathroom doors.

The two-trailer design allows for storage where a bed is typically located in a single-trailer home.

The breezeway features built-in doggie beds under a bench.

I like that. I could live in it by myself. Not enough space for 2 people.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could buy one of the new Ecocapsules for around $79000 Euros plus VAT. I guess over $87,000 plus tax. It has solar panels, wind turbine & a rainwater collection system. Too small for me.

Image result for EcocapsuleEcocapsule: live where you want

Honored Contributor

Our last primary residence was a 4100 sq. ft. custom built home.

We currently live in our 880 sq. ft. beach cottage during the winter.  Flipping love it.

Our summer place is 1000+ sq. ft.

One of our rental properties is 440 sq. ft and we are BEGGED to sell it at least once a year by someone who either rents it from us or someone who just wants to buy it period.  No deal!

Lots of outdoor living/entertaining space at all our places.  (That is huge to me when buying--that and private off road parking.)

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Our last primary residence was a 4100 sq. ft. custom built home.

We currently live in our 880 sq. ft. beach cottage during the winter.  Flipping love it.

Our summer place is 1000+ sq. ft.

One of our rental properties is 440 sq. ft and we are BEGGED to sell it at least once a year by someone who either rents it from us or someone who just wants to buy it period.  No deal!

Lots of outdoor living/entertaining space at all our places.  (That is huge to me when buying--that and private off road parking.)

Our camper is about 440 sq ft and we are always being told when we decide to sell it will be a bidding war. The manufacturer of our unit said they can't make them fast enough, they are selling too fast. We had a 3 month wait for ours because they custom build each unit. When you order one of these they give you a floor plan and a pencil and allow you to design how you want it made. They help you do it but each one is uniquely your own. I put in as many as I could of floor to ceiling cabinets - i have 4 of them.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

You could buy one of the new Ecocapsules for around $79000 Euros plus VAT. I guess over $87,000 plus tax. It has solar panels, wind turbine & a rainwater collection system. Too small for me.

Image result for EcocapsuleEcocapsule: live where you want

This would be cool to travel in and just sleep in at night.

Trusted Contributor

I think they're interesting, but I prefer a home with at least 2000 sq. feet. I love having lots of space.