Valued Contributor

Re: What do you think of the tiny homes trend?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Now a days most RVs have the slide out walls to add extra space which these tiny homes do not. Our camper is 336 sq ft while closed up but opening the slides takes it up to over 400. The living room /kitchen area has a slide on each side that takes oit from 8ft wide to 14 ft wide. Quite a difference.

Agreed.  My family has a fifth wheel that is quite large. The whole side of living room/kitchen slides out, and there is a kitchen island in the middle of it. This model also has a a fold down deck at the very rear of it that you can right walk out into.  This space also doubles as a screened in porch (or even additional bug-free sleeping space on those beautiful summer evenings).  The campers nowadays are very much a true home for many and seems extremely reasonable with virtually no upkeep.  They save on taxes and are able to move around if they choose.  This too is a lifestyle much like mini house living, and should not be considered some kind of bragging.  For many this is a much cheaper alternative than a lake house or a summer rental on the ocean.

However, I would not buy one of those mini houses, nor could I live permanently in the camper. What do you do if you have multiple pets and children? I get it, this is a whole lifestyle thing soem for the retired sector or the others with minimal posessions and reducing your footprint, but for me I like my "stuff" and my space Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@PeterDM wrote:

While I understand that the subject matter of threads is often repeated, it seems a little strange that it would be repeated by the same contributor.

if your not interested in the subject being discussed why did you open the thread? Just to make a snarky comment? tsk tsk tsk.

It's, "you're."  tsk tsk tsk.

Honored Contributor

Even a composting toilet must be emptied sometimes. And what about the washing water- full of soap and chemicals.

Honored Contributor

Not even if I lived alone. 

Trusted Contributor

To me, they're simply upscale trailers - that is, they're use of wood rather than metal.  My husband suggested getting one to set on some land and use as a cabin (a second residence.)  I could see doing this, but not living in it full time.  Seems like some young people on the HGTV shows have two thoughts in mind - to save money and live off the grid. 

Honored Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Now a days most RVs have the slide out walls to add extra space which these tiny homes do not. Our camper is 336 sq ft while closed up but opening the slides takes it up to over 400. The living room /kitchen area has a slide on each side that takes oit from 8ft wide to 14 ft wide. Quite a difference.

Agreed.  My family has a fifth wheel that is quite large. The whole side of living room/kitchen slides out, and there is a kitchen island in the middle of it. This model also has a a fold down deck at the very rear of it with slider doors to walk out into it.  This space also doubles as a screened in porch (or even additional bug-free sleeping space on those beautiful summer evenings).  The campers nowadays are very much a true home for many and seems extremely reasonable with virtually no upkeep.  They save on taxes and are able to move around if they choose.  This too is a lifestyle much like mini house living, and should not be considered some kind of bragging.  For many this is a much cheaper alternative than a lake house or a summer rental on the ocean.

However, I would not buy one of those mini houses, nor could I live permanently in the camper. What do you do if you have multiple pets and children? I get it, this is a whole lifestyle thing soem for the retired sector or the others with minimal posessions and reducing your footprint, but for me I like my "stuff" and my space Smiley Happy

We stay on our camper for about 4 months more or less every summer, but I agree I would not want to live in it full time, 12 months. I have a lot of stuff and I don't have any desire to give it up. We do know people who have fifth wheels and do live in them full time, towing them Pa to Fl. I need to have an actual house in one of those places.

Honored Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

To me, they're simply upscale trailers - that is, they're use of wood rather than metal.  My husband suggested getting one to set on some land and use as a cabin (a second residence.)  I could see doing this, but not living in it full time.  Seems like some young people on the HGTV shows have two thoughts in mind - to save money and live off the grid. 

I think when you are young, you haven't acquired many possessions as yet. If you are accustomed to living in one room at your parents house or in a dorm room, or an apartment with a zillion roomies you are not likely to have many belongings.

Honored Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

These places are not at all upscale in comparison to how they decorate RV's these days.

Honored Contributor

often when i see them on TV building these I think about how are they going to keep rodents out. Those little buggers eat a hole right through wood. RV's have rubber undersides just for that reason, and to keep the floor from getting wet/damp. However these tiny home builders seem to put the wood floors right on the metal frame. Having had mice in my RVs a few times as well as squirrels - I can tell you it is no fun.

Honored Contributor

I think some our cute,but i would go crazy living in such a small space.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.