Honored Contributor

What do you think of the tiny homes trend?

Personally, I think they are way overpriced from what I have seen on HGTV and other shows. Beside that they don't always make the best use of the space. I find campers, where the furniture is built in and mostly multipurpose to be more efficient and more attractive. I find I have more questions than answers about them. For instance - when they choose to just plop them in a field somewhere what do they use for electric and water source and how do they dispose of sewage? And since I have yet to see one with a closet larger than about 2 ft - where do they store their clothes? 

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of the tiny homes trend?

I would rather live in a one bedroom apartment. The tiny homes I have seen have the bedroom upstairs without room enough to stand up, no thanks.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've stopped watching the HGTV show because the little mobile homes are just silly.  It's not as artsy-f@rtsy maybe but most would be better off with a smaller fifth-wheel or trailer--just not as much fun😊

I'd rather see shows featuring utilizing space and storage in small homes of 800 to 1200 sq feet.

Trusted Contributor

While I understand that the subject matter of threads is often repeated, it seems a little strange that it would be repeated by the same contributor.

Honored Contributor

Yesterday I saw something on FB about tiny homes - one of them was 1200+ sq ft. Our 3 bedroom comfortably spacious home in Pittsburgh was  1100 sq ft. It was far from tiny. I guess it is all about your perception.

Honored Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

While I understand that the subject matter of threads is often repeated, it seems a little strange that it would be repeated by the same contributor.

if your not interested in the subject being discussed why did you open the thread? Just to make a snarky comment? tsk tsk tsk.

Honored Contributor

Forget it; I like space.

Honored Contributor

Now a days most RVs have the slide out walls to add extra space which these tiny homes do not. Our camper is 336 sq ft while closed up but opening the slides takes it up to over 400. The living room /kitchen area has a slide on each side that takes oit from 8ft wide to 14 ft wide. Quite a difference.

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of the younger generation are buying these because they can no longer afford to buy a home or because they don't want a mortgage. RV vs Tiny Home is that an RV is a gas guzzler & you can tow your Tiny Home with your pickup if you buy one that's the road legal. Some want to live off the gird & not be dependant on gas, elec & water companies. Some places are starting to pass laws that you have to have these. The companies don't like people not being dependant on their utilities. Some Tiny Homes have composting toilets, some have elec & water. I have seen those like that  that were set up on relatives land. I don't know how the utilities work in most Tiny Homes because they don't say much about that on the shows. Some have a system that collects the rain, some have solar power etc. I doubt I could live in one unless it was by myself. I would not want a loft bed. As I get older I would have a problem getting up there. LOL!!!

Valued Contributor