Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of Nellie's Detergent?

About a year ago I ordered the 500 load bucket from HSN.  I still have close to 1/3 of the bucket left so I pushed out my A/D.  Prior to ordering the Nellie's, I would mostly use the Kirkland liquid from Costco and sometimes pick up Persil or Tide when I'd find them on sale.  It seems kinda silly for me to buy a big bucket of Nellie's but it's been nice to not have to think about getting laundry detergent this past year.  The value has been great and it does a very good job cleaning out clothes.  Aside from when we do yard work or gardening, our clothes don't get real dirty.  I find that it dissolves well, even in cold water, so there's no residue left on dark things.  I keep a supply of white washcloths for doing my face.  Sometimes they get stained from makeup.  I still add some Oxyclean or bleach to the load when I'm washing them.  I plan on sticking with the Nellie's.  I haven't tried the dryer balls yet.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Great feedback!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried it upon the recommendations I've read here. I just got a small container from Amazon as I don't do HSN. It was so-so. Just a regular detergent in my book. I didn't notice any vast difference by using this than I do using national brand detergents. I save money now and buy whatever brand my Meijer store has on sale. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I just got my 2nd tub--500 washes-- thats 10 cents a load,  Use it in all temps of water and groups of clothing. No smell to it and you use only 1 tablespoon for normal sized loads. I have HE machines so it is good for those. Also use the woolly balls in the dryer, but got those from AMZ. They work well too.

Honored Contributor

I have used it for years and really like it.

Super Contributor

i only use nellies,and also use the dryer balls.

Respected Contributor

I purchased Nellie's from HSN to try last year. The reviews were so good.  All I can say is, what a bunch of hype over nothing. It did not clean my laundry at all. As I have said before, you might as well just be using plain water to clean your clothes. It could not even remove gardening dirt off of my jeans or pants. Forget about removing blood stains. It does not have a fragrance so that is one thing going for it. The only thing. Total waste of my money, time and water. I donated the remaining packs of Nellie's and now use liquid Free and Gentle Tide.

Respected Contributor

I have been using Nellies for about 2  years.  

Whites are whiter

Towels are fluffy

Removes odors and stains.

Less fading of colors/darks

If I have a big stain I pretreat, but I always did that with any detergent.

If you have very hard water you may want to add a tiny bit of Borax with your detergent.

Honored Contributor

Been using Nellies for close to 2 years.  Been buying it at Marshall's.  I'm happy with it.  Easier than lifting those heavy jugs of liquid detergent too.  I bought the "plastic" dryer balls and didn't notice any difference.  Bought a set of three of the "wool" and I guess they work a little better.  My dryer is old --no damage noticed.  Not sure they make much of a difference in drying time or softness though.

Honored Contributor

rocky--wow what a drag---I wash all types of gunky clothes as my hubby is in construction. I may need to add more than just 1 tablespoon to his clothes but they always come out clean. I putter in my garden too and my stuff comes out great.