Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do with old pictures?!?

I have no children but I have lots of photos of nieces and nephews and holidays.....I keep thinking I am going to do a album for two nieces - I am closest to them and will put to gether a family album for each....they can share the photos with their siblings, otherwise when I die, they will proably just throw them away.  

I love looking at the photos.

Honored Contributor

Give away any you can, keep a few of the best and pitch the rest.  Or live around them. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner    Like your posting best - - Very wise!

(made me smile)

Honored Contributor

@barb40  I have the same issue.

Esteemed Contributor

I, too, am photo crazy. I have 2 kids. My oldest, I took tons of photos of, then I

began printing them at home and creating beautiful albums. But before then, I had

them processed from the photo lab, I was always getting duplicates,

one for my album and some doubles I would give away. Still have too many

sitting in old envelopes.

Had my 2nd child, tried to keep up with the albums. I realized that it was getting 

tougher because when I took a picture that had both kids in I would print two, one

for each kid's albums. Boy is ink expensive too!

The albums started piling up like crazy. Then I went thru a period of cutting back

on taking so many pics as the kids were getting older and always didn't want a camera

around and in their face. Would mainly take alot of pictures on birthdays and holidays

and of course pet photos.

Taking decent photos, printing and organizing them the right way is very time 

consuming and I wonder as well, will the kids truly appreciate when they are a

bit older all the hard work invested? Once in a while, we pull the albums out and look at how different they looked, hair styles, clothes, etc. and enjoy them.

I have recently joined an ink club with HP ink so it is not as pricey as when I was constantly refilling cartridge after cartridge in printer. Always love taking and looking

at photos. I am going to look thru and clean up some. No need to keep massive 

amounts of duplicates. I plan on them taking a few of them in the future. 

Honored Contributor

It is kind of sad. My Mother nagged and nagged my Dad to put names on photos of his family. By then he had a stroke and lost the use of his writing hand. So my Dad plugged away and did try and write everyone's name on the photos as best he could.

BUT as I was going through photos of Mom's family  - she did not put any names on any photos. So I have lots of formal photos and no clue who the people are. But I have their families photos through the years.

I just can't seem to throw them out. I have tried to give to brothers and cousins and they are not interested. My Grandmother made a beautiful leather album of their early years of marriage. It is from about 1910. So the leather is denigrating and a mess to deal with. I have a huge 20 X 24 framed picture of my Great Grandmother (her last photo) and my Dad (when he was about 3 months old). 

Guess I should just face the facts and get rid of the boxes of photos. And start reclaiming my dining room again.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Sooner    Like your posting best - - Very wise!

(made me smile)

@fthunt I am sort of the last of the family and I have dealt with so many estates that what was at one time things full of memories and a sense of keeping for family became stuff running me out of my house!  So, probably not so wise as weary.  

Then one day I woke up and figured out I am not the Smithsonian. . . 

Respected Contributor

I had over 5,000 pictures on my computer. Took me days, but I purged it down to 1,500.

Now I am very cautious about taking any more pictures. I do not want to go thru that again.

Trusted Contributor

I did the same as Kathy m23.

Honored Contributor

i have boxes from when the kids were little, would love to winnow down but Mrjtb is reluctant. 

want to go thru pick out the best and toss the others, there must be 1000s

it's a huge job and not sure it's worth the payout right now 

I did go thru and got rid of all picture frames on tables etc, a few years ago,  dust collectors