Respected Contributor

Re: What do you do with old pictures?!?

@barb40   What I have done with 8 x 10 and 5 x 7 photos is buy 8 x 11  3-ring binders and 6 x 8 3-ring binders and packages of 3-ring plastic sheets 8x 11 and 6 x 8.  You can insert two photos in each sheet one facing front and the other facing back and insert the plastic sheets in the 3-ring binders.  Same as using a photo album except for the larger pictures.

Esteemed Contributor

I have more to 'eliminate' but when I get at the job - I keep those that mean something to me....and put those not worth taking up space.........through my shredder.  Older relatives are gone - younger relatives wouldn't know who was who in the snapshot.

Esteemed Contributor

@suziebee1 wrote:

I have the same problem.  I have my parents photos and have no idea who most of the people are.  I have my photo albums, and then albums of my children.  What do you do with them all?  I could fill an entire wall with just albums.  My kids aren't going to want all those albums.  I am going to follow this thread to see what great ideas you all are coming up with.  thanks!

I don't think my boys will want the photo albums either, even though I have made many albums for each of them.  My oldest is a minimalist and wants nothing at all.  I hope that they will not have the heart to throw them out.  They could at least scan the photos, but then the info on the back would be lost if they did not scan that too.  I spent a LOT of time on those albums.  Sometimes I think it was a waste of time.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I had tons of pictures from my parents, siblings and myself.  I used the purge style for eliminating them.  Threw away the ones I had no idea of who the people were.  I sent duplicates to my siblings and told them to do whatever they wanted.   Keep the ones that I wanted.  No guilt here.

Respected Contributor

I recently cleared out my mother's house.  MANY albums from vacations, mostly scenic. If there were no pictures of people I know, they were tossed.... with just a few exceptions for cute animals!  Anything with people went into a box for my brother to digitize.  Knowing him (and he's great, but slow at these things), it will take at least 10 years!

Honored Contributor

In boxes.  I don't care about saving "stuff" but I can't toss a picture.

Honored Contributor

I got rid of photo albums last year, put what pictures I kept in photo sleeves that are stored in a plastic tote.   

Mom inherited a few photo albums from her mother and sister.   Outside of a few pictures, I hope my brothers take those albums after mom is gone.   I am not saddling myself with inherited stuff again.  If my daughters are ever curious about their family, I have all they would be interested in.    Am not going to save everything “in case” my daughters and nephew develop an interest “some day”.   

Honored Contributor

I went through the old pictures years ago.  I gave my brother and sister pictures of them as youngsters and pictures they would like and could relate to.  I framed pictures of my grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles and placed them throughout the house, most of them in the dining and living rooms.  They are mixed in with pictures of my nieces, nephews and their children.  

These pictures are my heritage, my family, meaningful and cherished.  I don't know what will happen to them when I am gone but for now and for awhile I have surrounded myself with wonderful memories and reminders of  loved ones who all have places in my heart.

Honored Contributor

While going through boxes of unlabeled, undated photos after my parents died, I tried best as I could to to identify who was in the picture and sent them off to the cousins I thought they belonged to.

The rest I posted on FB and if no one could tell me who it was, I threw them out.  I know a lot of people may not agree with me on that but I saved my daughter from having to do it.

Respected Contributor

First I had put this off a long time. I did my mother’s first. What I kept I put in a pretty hard cover box. Take them out once in a while as my granddaughters like to look at them. 

My own took longer and it wasn’t easy but I did it. Kept albums but many pictures went. As my granddaughter would say———say goodbye to them. I did along with a few tears.