Trusted Contributor

Re: What attracts you to expensive parts of the country

It's the type of people who live there that attracts me to expensive parts of the country.  The people I want to get to know are highly educated and cultured.  My favorite places to live have been in big cities like NYC and small college towns packed with students and professors.  I will not say where I've not happily lived so I don't insult anyone, but I will say that I have lived at length in a few different parts of the country where I've felt very alone.  

Honored Contributor

@IMWwrote:

@Mominohiowrote:

@IMWwrote:

NYC- culture, art, diversity of people, Ocean,openness of ideas, ethnic foods, mass transportation, medical care, etc.

Not everyone wants or needs a house, or a mansion. We are very happy in an apartment. Have lived here 41 years.

It is presumptuous to think you know better what is good for people- just curious 

I haven't read the entire thread, but this being the very first post after the OP, I don't see in the least how the OP was being presumptuous or 'knows better what is good for people'. It was simply asking questions about why people live where they do, and how it is possible for most people to afford it. 

I think this post just did though. 

Agree, I overreacted and apologize to OP.

@IMW

See that is what I get for not reading the whole thread! I apologize to you too!

Honored Contributor

I live in a very rural, Mayberry type area and I would not live in a large city at all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@NycVixenwrote:

I've lived in much smaller towns inside and outside of the US and there's nothing like a big city. It's not a matter of if you can do something but when.

NYC is truly incredible. You grow up with a sense of independence and bravado that makes you such a go getter in life. You get used to facing challenges dealing with so many different people and situations that you learn to work hard to overcome them.

Just being here makes you a stronger person and I really love that. You are taught to be an independent thinker and to dream big. This is a place of endless possibilities if you just put your mind to it. That alone makes it worthwhile to me.

@NycVixen There is no place like NYC and it is one of only handful of big cities that could lure me in... That said, your experience isn't the same for everyone... For all those who might thrive in New York, there are those who would be chewed up and spit out because the city simply doesn't work with the way they're built... 

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A quick look at the U.S. Census Bureau's website shows dramatically how people in certain areas are able to afford higher-priced housing and other things in life.

Some might find it fun to compare their county's median income with that of some other area of the country.

From the Census Bureau..........

November 30, 2017
Respected Contributor

Born in New England and have always loved it. I like grass, trees and woods. It’s where I live. Love the ocean. I am not much of a traveler these days. Used to go to Florida in the winter. My best friend lived there. Great beaches. Loved going to New York. My DH is not a traveler. He loves being home. So here I am.

Honored Contributor

I've lived all over the world. I've lived in towns that had a few hundred in it and I've lived in  major cities. I'ved on the East Coast, the West Coast and many a state in between. So has DH and in the end, because we've traveled and lived in so many places we know what we want and don't want:

*we want 4 seasons

*we don't want extreme weather issues

*we don't want big city living

*we don't want to live in the boonies

*we need excellent medical facilities but that doesn't always mean living near a big city 

*we won't live in areas that are to far left or right

*I won't live in certain states due to political choices those states have made

*cost of living plays a HUGE role

*SS benefits play a HUGE role (son is on full disability)

Last but MOST important: is DH employed there.

Attraction isn't the word I would use as to why we are where we are. We are here due to his job. Some fields are only located in certain parts of the country. If all companies offered telecommuting, OH, what a different kind of world it would be, lol. We are now priced out of our county if we wish to purchase a single family home. In fact, where his positions are located in the US, we can not afford any of them at this point. Now, if we wanted to live above means and do nothing and not have any savings and place our son in a home, well, that would be a different story but we won't so.....we stay right where we are. 

Family being around has never been a reason to live somewhere for me; for us. I understand it's a big deal for others but....it's not something we base decisions on. We're not thrilled here but...it's all we got for now.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I just love living in New England.   We live in a town founded in the 1600s, and culture abounds.  We,have access to so much, including three major hospitals (plus one of two hospitals for children in our state).  We originally moved to this town specifically for its fine school system.  This is not a cheap place to live, but we are so fortunate we can stay here in our retirement.  Of course, our two married children, as well as our cherished grandchildren, live nearby.  We would be heartbroken if we had to move away from our family.

Super Contributor

Interesting topic!  I love where I live, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that my family is here. My parents gave us the land we built on, and my sister and her family live across the street and my mom lives 300 yards up the road in the house where I was raised.  I also have a cousin and uncle who live within walking distance and many other relatives within a five minute drive.  I think the pull of family and the appeal of what is familiar is strong.

I live in New England about five miles from the ocean. I can't imagine living away from the ocean, but maybe that's because that is what I am accustomed to.  I love the fact that I am close to Boston, but also close to the mountains of New Hampshire, not to mention Newport, Rhode Island, the coast of Maine and Vermont in autumn.  In fact, I would say the thing I like most about where i live (other than the ocean) is autumn.  In my opinion, there is nothing like fall in New England.

The cost of housing here is on the high side.  Boston is one of the higher priced real estate markets in the country.  I am on the Massachusetts/New Hampshire border so, although we do not have Boston level prices, it is still quite high.  I, too, watch shows like "Fixer Upper" and am amazed at how inexpensive real estate is in Waco, Texas.  And, truth be told, I think I could be happy there as well.  I find that the older I get, the more basic are my needs.  I don't care so much about night life or even dining out.  I am all about my home.  I love to decorate and see my home as my sanctuary.  At the end of the day, I can achieve that anywhere.  So, I think I could be happy pretty much anywhere as long as I can have a cozy nest to come home to.  I don't know that I could live too far from my family though,and I guess that's why I live where I do.  Family is everything.

Valued Contributor

@BirkiLady  You obvisouly are not a Floridian, you are a visitor/snow bird. Moss on roofs - really - I have never seen that.  .In Kentucky we did have to have our roof cleaned due to something green on it.   I had more creepy crawly things in Kentucky.  Humidity in Kentucky can be higher than Florida at times. .No green space, I am called the jungle lady because of my green space, I live close to the National Wild Life Sanctuary on the Space Coast.  You can hike for hours and not see a human, just tons of natural habitat and lots of animals and birds to include a huge colony of Bald Eagles, adjacent is Mosquito Lagoon which is world renown for wildlife and reefs full of fish..  Hurricaines, what about snow and ice storms, tornadoes?  No electric for weeks. Salt in the air, what about salt on the roads in the winter up north, ate up our Mustang when we lived in Indiana - winter never warmed up enough to rinse the salt from the roads off the underside of the car.   Every state has issues.  I am a military wife and have lived everywhere.  Please don't bash Florida, you are not a resident, you do not live here.  If you don't like it here, stay where you are.