Valued Contributor

Re: What attracts you to expensive parts of the country

Ive lived on the West coast all my life. Ive loved it even more after visiting the rest of the country because its home to me. I dont feel home anywhere else especially now living here in the midwest makes me miss it even more. Yes, the weather is great but there are other intangibles that you just dont get anywhere else. Its hard to explain but only ones who can understand it are the ones who have grown up there. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Honored Contributor

@ccassadaywrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

@ccassadaywrote:

@IMWwrote:

NYC- culture, art, diversity of people, Ocean,openness of ideas, ethnic foods, mass transportation, medical care, etc.

Not everyone wants or needs a house, or a mansion. We are very happy in an apartment. Have lived here 41 years.

It is presumptuous to think you know better what is good for people- just curious 

What. I was just asking because it makes me curious. I really don’t care where people live. It’s not my life. It makes me curious what the attraction is since cost of living is so expensive.

@ccassaday.  I would think it would be common knowledge that if you are from a certain part of the country, there is a good chance you will live your life there. It is not like everyone born somewhere else says "Oh, let me move to the most expensive part of the country".

I agree. Especially if family is there. Family is everything.

@ccassaday.  Funny part is that husbands family is nearby, but the nearest of mine is 4 hours away. Still on the east coast though. Hope your finishing decorating on your new house is coming along. I have followed your updates.

Esteemed Contributor

I have always loved my city. I think the size is great. Not small and rural and not s big city. My city has grown like crazy the last five years. 20 years ago the major highway was hardly used. Now they built s freeway connecting all parts of the city and the major highway and everyone used the freeways now. 

I think its interesting to learn what others enjoy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RoughDraftwrote:

Born and raised on east coast.  Big city gal.  Great medical centers, universities, theaters, restaurants, shopping, close to the ocean, grass makes me nervous.Woman LOL  

OMG....Thank you for the laugh of the day!

Having left the big city to work in a less hectic branch office I remember leaving and thinking I haven't seen a bird or a squirrel in my yard in years.

Honored Contributor

@ccassadaywrote:
I am always amazed at home prices on the east and west coast. What attracts you to want to live there. Just curious. Is it the weather or family. How do people even afford a house. It’s amazing the little shack you get in California. Is that mainly the southern part. You could have a mansion in other parts of the country. Is it work. Surely you can find the same type of jobs elsewhere.

This is really a bit of an odd question.

People are already living someplace when they are born, they grow up there, and end up living there.

It's not as if we all came to someplace with a blank slate and decided to choose.  All too often the choice was already made.

And if and when we do choose, not everyone wants the same sized home.  Not everyone wants the same type of job either.

I think my answer is not very helpful.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

My sister lives in a NW Suburb of Chicago. They lived a lot farther out but moved to be closer to work. They had a child and the commute to much time away from him. Now they live ten minutes from work.  She ended up there because she met her husband at Valparaiso university and that’s where he was from.

Honored Contributor

I think everyone knows there are big cities and great healthcare,schools,jobs,etc throughout the country. There are small towns (Mayberry) up and down the coasts. 

Honored Contributor

Yes ...high prices on the West Coast.  We don't all live in shacks.  Sure, I could live in a much bigger, newer house if I relocated to a less pricey area.  But then I think of all I'd have to give up, and I reconsider!  I love our mild climate, the gorgeous  natural areas, the outdoor lifestyle, the fabulous produce, seafood...all types of food, really.

I don't feel like I have to spend much $$$ on travel.  I already live in a place where people from all over the world visit, all four seasons of the year. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've lived in much smaller towns inside and outside of the US and there's nothing like a big city. It's not a matter of if you can do something but when.

NYC is truly incredible. You grow up with a sense of independence and bravado that makes you such a go getter in life. You get used to facing challenges dealing with so many different people and situations that you learn to work hard to overcome them.

Just being here makes you a stronger person and I really love that. You are taught to be an independent thinker and to dream big. This is a place of endless possibilities if you just put your mind to it. That alone makes it worthwhile to me.

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@ccassadaywrote:
I am always amazed at home prices on the east and west coast. What attracts you to want to live there. Just curious. Is it the weather or family. How do people even afford a house. It’s amazing the little shack you get in California. Is that mainly the southern part. You could have a mansion in other parts of the country. Is it work. Surely you can find the same type of jobs elsewhere.

This is really a bit of an odd question.

People are already living someplace when they are born, they grow up there, and end up living there.

It's not as if we all came to someplace with a blank slate and decided to choose.  All too often the choice was already made.

And if and when we do choose, not everyone wants the same sized home.  Not everyone wants the same type of job either.

I think my answer is not very helpful.  

I actually agree with you.  Coming from where I am at it’s hard to wrap my head around how people can even afford a nice house. I guess maybe there are a lot higher wages in those areas. Does a nurse on the west coast make that much more thrn s nurse in a different part of the country. I just find it interesting.