Honored Contributor

Re: What attracts you to expensive parts of the country

I was born and raised in the town that I live in. I can't imagine myself living anywhere else. My family and my husband's family are here. Our town is about 100,000, so it is not big, but it isn't tiny either. 

We are also 30 minutes South of a big city in one direction, and about 90 minutes from a huge city, so we are very close if we want to go into the city and do things......

I think what I like most is being right on Lake Michigan! It is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind living in a town even smaller, as long as a big city was near by for entertainment, sports, etc......

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susanwrote:

@chrystaltreewrote:

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

I live on the east coast and have lots of wildlife in my backyard. I don't live in a city. I live in a very wooded area but only 15 miles from NYC. I have a woodchuck that lives under my shed, I feed many birds, have many turkeys and many deer. Most visit every day. The coast is not just one big city.

I was going to coast something similar.  What the bleep are people talking about...lol  Do people really thing that the entire East Coast is one big city block...lol  As if there are no small towns and suburban locations in NY or NJ or MA...lol    

Yes!  Somehow this has changed from east and west coasts to cities vs. rural areas.  The coasts are not all cities!  There are lots and lots of rural areas.  And many of the suburban areas within minutes of NYC are very wide-open, with houses far apart, wildlife, and trees, quiet, and a need for cars.  Easy access into NYC is one of the big selling points of living right outside.  Still expensive, but it allows the best of both worlds.  

I agree with those who have said they couldn't live far from the ocean.  We really do have everything here.

It's sad and funny at the same time but some people's idea of NYC is what they see on all those cop and Law shows.  They don't have the foggiest of about what living in a city or near a city anywhere outside their environment is like.  

Honored Contributor

I read several posts here that out & out said if you aren't living in some huge city like NYC or Chicago or LA that you are some kind of dolt berift of all culture. Maybe - but we at least have halfway decent manners and would never say that to anyone. For those who desire to live in a huge city - go for it - good for you. But it doesn't give you any right to belittle anyone who doesn't. I've lived in huge cities - they are not my taste.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought this was cool. Today my city was ranked #1 in America for cost of living.

http://wane.com/2018/03/19/summit-city-ranked-1-for-cost-of-living/amp/

Valued Contributor

I currently live on the East Coast consider it my home. I moved away to Southwestern PA for three years and I just didn't fit in and I was not happy. Housing prices are far more higher on the East Coast than Southwestern PA but it wasn't a factor in my decision making to move back. This is my home and where my loved ones are, and that's all that matters.  I don't know that anyone is attracted to spending more than they should for housing, however, it's one of those trade-offs I made when I decided to move back. 

Undoubtedly the housing prices are significantly higher and so are taxes, however, relatively speaking incomes are also higher. 

Super Contributor

@151949wrote:

I read several posts here that out & out said if you aren't living in some huge city like NYC or Chicago or LA that you are some kind of dolt berift of all culture. Maybe - but we at least have halfway decent manners and would never say that to anyone. For those who desire to live in a huge city - go for it - good for you. But it doesn't give you any right to belittle anyone who doesn't. I've lived in huge cities - they are not my taste.

I didn't read where anyone who lives is a big city like NYC or Chicago belittle anyone or imply that anyone who doesn't live in a big city is a dolt. The comment about manners is a moot point.

Honored Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@151949wrote:

I didn't read where anyone who lives is a big city like NYC or Chicago belittle anyone or imply that anyone who doesn't live in a big city is a dolt. The comment about manners is a moot point.

@sol_luna
yeah, someone did say that. I would have to go back and look, but not right now.

Esteemed Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@151949wrote:

I agree.

And the topic is expensive areas, living on the east and west coasts, etc.  Lots of posters who love the east  or west coast do not live in cities.  This isn't about living in cities.  It's about where we all live, what we have access to, and why we think the higher cost is or isn't worth it.   Many posters don't live IN cities, but can get to a large city easily, and they enjoy the benefits of that.  Others prefer more rural areas.  It's all good.  I'm not sure how this became a "city" thing when both coasts clearly have lots of rural and suburban areas too - some close to cities, but others very far away.  Not every expensive area is in a city.  (I have lots of firsthand knowledge about that!)

I haven't seen any posts that imply any other posters are "some kind of dolts".  We're simply answering the OP's question.  Everyone is different, and many posters have acknowledged that.  Different lifestyles, different life experience, different priorities.  No one is right and no one is wrong.  We're all just saying what works for us.

Trusted Contributor

@151949wrote:

@151949 No one in this thread said this.  People just shared their experiences and preferences, and no one put anyone down.  It's unfortunate that you would choose to make such a negative comment in such a civil, informative thread.  You have no business assessing other people's manners.