Honored Contributor

Re: What attracts you to expensive parts of the country

I live on the east coast and have lots of wildlife in my backyard. I don't live in a city. I live in a very wooded area but only 15 miles from NYC. I have a woodchuck that lives under my shed, I feed many birds, have many turkeys and many deer. Most visit every day. The coast is not just one big city.

Regular Contributor

@ccassadaywrote:

@Andrewsgrandmawrote:

I am and always will be a west coast girl. I was born and raised in the Bay Area. Moved to Phoenix in my late teens. I will always love California. I had an idyllic childhood there. California has everything. I love the ocean. It's my true happy place. I live in Phoenix. I love Arizona. We have everything but an ocean. Our weather is great. Cost of living is very affordable. If I could afford to, which I can't, I'd move to California in a minute. 

My my daughter and her family live in Indianapolis. She has a great life there. I love Indy and I'd love to live there. My daughter doesn't think I'd like living there. 

We lived in Seattle briefly in the late 90s. Absolutely gorgeous. Western Washington is so beautiful. I hated every minute of every day that we lived there. We moved back to Phoenix and although jaw dropping gorgeous, I have no desire to live in Washington again. I also enjoy visiting relatives in Oregon but wouldn't want to live there. 

I have never ever been to the east coast, so no thoughts on that.

As for me, I feel completely at home in California and Arizona. 

I live two hours north of Indy. If you like the warm AZ you probably wouldn’t like winters. But sometimes being close to family is everything.

I agree. I'd love to be near my daughter and her family. They have such a great life in Indianapolis. SIL was born and raised, so it's his home. My daughter went to IUPUI and is a big wig with the State Library. She loves her career. I love the city of Indianapolis. Heck, I love the state, lol. I love the Indianapolis zoo. I love Madison, Indiana. We want to move there but my daughter doesn't think we'd be happy there. She was born and raised in Arizona so she does have some perspective. The lifestyle is different. Anyway, it's something that we are considering. I hate being so far from my grandkids. We lost our other daughter so being close to my Indianapolis family means a lot to me. 

Great topic! Thanks for asking!

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJwrote:

I live on the east coast and have lots of wildlife in my backyard. I don't live in a city. I live in a very wooded area but only 15 miles from NYC. I have a woodchuck that lives under my shed, I feed many birds, have many turkeys and many deer. Most visit every day. The coast is not just one big city.

So true. I have family that lives in NJ and upstate NY and it's just like you describe. I'm gravitating to wanting to live in a more suburban area so I can have many animals and more birds. I would absolutely love to live where you do. It sounds lovely. Still close to the city but far away enough at the same time.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Every state has cities and hospitals with medical care. There are rural towns in all states. We are not all so different. Oceans are the only difference I see and cost of living. Every place has something to offer.

Honored Contributor

I grew up in NYC ... in 1970, we moved to SF Bay Area and stayed for almost 20 years.  In that time, we owned two houses.

Came back to New York in 1989 ... great apartment in Manhattan.  

It's home .... that's why I live here.

Regular Contributor

By the way @ccassaday, have you had a desire to live in another part of the country?

Honored Contributor

I have lived at the East Coast for all my life.  My family and life long friends are here which as you get older you need and find comfort in.  The only one missing is my sister who because of circumstances had to move to another state.  She is not happy and a fish out of water.  She doesn't care that the homes are a lot cheaper, she cares about the family she left behind, the diversity, all the different places to shop and eat  at and so many other reasons I rather not mention. 

A house is just that, a house.  I could easily move away and afford a mansion with lots of land.  But the trade off isn't worth it.  I am happy and worked hard to get a decent pension.  I like having the ocean nearby and the mountains not far away.  The perks definitely out weigh the negative .

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday. Thanks for the discussion. Hope to see some pics of the decorated home. Good night.

Honored Contributor

Yes, a nurse in California makes a lot more than a nurse in Indiana.
I expect if I ever do move out of state, it will be to Oregon.
To be perfectly honest, I don’t think I would be happy living in a red state.
Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA Do you have room for one more? Lol! I love NYC and if I could move the I would. 😊