Esteemed Contributor

@Thrive, a lot of us can empathize with you - we've been in similar positions with our parent's homes. I agree with @Sooner - find someone to handle an estate sale if possible. Many times, those people will take care of anything that doesn't sell so you don't have to deal with it. I believe in the phrase "price it right, and it will sell"...you may need to lower the price a bit to offset the upgrades that need to be done, but in the long run you may come out ahead. Best of luck to you - I know it's hard.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had older homes and found that a fresh coat of a neutral color paint in all the rooms makes a difference. New shower curtains help. These are things that are a bit more budget friendly if you can do the labro yourself.

Honored Contributor

It's too soon to worry. Someone who likes remodeling will snap it up. You might not make as much as you had hoped, but there is a buyer for a home in a nice area.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I often think sellers overlook the opportunities they have to  price low and ignite a bidding war on their property that can net them more money than so-called "market value" or "asking price".

People love a bargain.  They can lose their heads in a bidding war over a bargain. 

I love bidding wars, especially in real estate!!  

@novamc1  In my previous house, there were three offers at my dining room table the same night.  Two were way too low, the third offered over list price, SOLD!

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

BTDT

clean out all the stuff

put in on the market

our agent said your first offer is the best, and believe me this was true

take your first offer and be done, and put it behind you and move on with your life.  Don't keep hoping for the "next deal"  

@jackthebear This wasn't true with my previous house, three offers in one night, one over list, done deal.