Honored Contributor

Re: What 'THEY' say is important in reselling a home

@SaRina wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Not everyone is handy or wants to take the time to repaint and take down wallpaper. And it's expensive to hire some one. Wallpaper is a huge pain in the butt to remove. When your trying to get top dollar for your house it's about appealing to the most buyers you can.  If you don't want top dollar for your house and would be happy with less then by all means leave your ugly wallpaper.  

honestly, I'm started to be offended by the insistence that all wallpaper is 'ugly'. 

It in fact, is not. 

There are so many endless kinds and styles of paper (some don't have any print at all, but are about texture), that I feel to lump everything in a particular category as 'ugly' is a bit overstating, and shows short sightedness.

To say one doesn't like something is fine, but to classify all of something as having no value is something I try to avoid doing.

Ah, you need to toughen up a bit if someone saying "all wallpaper is ugly" offends you. :-)  I guess you have a lot of wallpaper in your home. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. 

However, wallpaper in a home that is trying to be sold is a red flag, just like kitchens and bathrooms that need to be upgraded. That's just the way it is -- obviously due to prevailing opinion. Personally, I have never seen an attractive wallpaper in a home, either in person or on tv. It is not a choice I would make.

Just because any give individual doesn't like something doesn't make it ugly or unmarketable. Plenty of houses sell everyday in this country with wallpaper still attached.

There are people here on the 'no wallpaper' side that are getting a bit rude about it. It is one thing to not care for something, or suggest that it MIGHT effect the marketability of the property in SOME markets, but it gets to the point of being rude to make a blanket judgement in a way several of these post have done.

And it has been well documented in the industry that wallpaper is making a big comeback. Whether you are on the love it side or the hate it side. if 'prevailing opinion' has any value (and you seem to think it does), guess what, wallpaper now is gaining value in home decor again. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Wallpaper and wall borders can be very dated.  A dated house will not get top dollar...

I agree that a dated house, in some decade ranges, might not get top dollar in SOME markets.

But right now if you have an authentic 1950's  (and sometimes 60's or 70's) kitchen and bath, they are all the rage. People are actually tearing out more modern kitchen to go retro. 

It all depends on the area, what is available on the market in general, and what kind of people come through your home.

I think good marketing of your house is more important, than a leftover wallpaper border or a papered bathroom, in how fast a home will sell. I'm becoming more of the camp that Realtors are wanting people to update and do lots of work on the home to make THEIR job of selling it easier. People need to look for realtors that are as effective at selling houses as David Venable is at selling kitchen wares.   

I saw an article in our local paper recently that the market here made a really quick flip, that surprised even the realtors. It was a seller's market here for quite a few years. Few listings, just about anything on the market would sell for the right price, because there wasn't much choice. Then, it seemed like over night tons of listings, so more competition, and it became a buyer's market very quickly.

And here in the middle of the country, outside the biggest metropolitan areas, houses will sell that are in need updating, very quickly, just need to be priced right. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

Not everyone is handy or wants to take the time to repaint and take down wallpaper. And it's expensive to hire some one. Wallpaper is a huge pain in the butt to remove. When your trying to get top dollar for your house it's about appealing to the most buyers you can.  If you don't want top dollar for your house and would be happy with less then by all means leave your ugly wallpaper.  

honestly, I'm started to be offended by the insistence that all wallpaper is 'ugly'. 

It in fact, is not. 

There are so many endless kinds and styles of paper (some don't have any print at all, but are about texture), that I feel to lump everything in a particular category as 'ugly' is a bit overstating, and shows short sightedness.

To say one doesn't like something is fine, but to classify all of something as having no value is something I try to avoid doing.

Ah, you need to toughen up a bit if someone saying "all wallpaper is ugly" offends you. :-)  I guess you have a lot of wallpaper in your home. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. 

However, wallpaper in a home that is trying to be sold is a red flag, just like kitchens and bathrooms that need to be upgraded. That's just the way it is -- obviously due to prevailing opinion. Personally, I have never seen an attractive wallpaper in a home, either in person or on tv. It is not a choice I would make.

Just because any give individual doesn't like something doesn't make it ugly or unmarketable. Plenty of houses sell everyday in this country with wallpaper still attached.

There are people here on the 'no wallpaper' side that are getting a bit rude about it. It is one thing to not care for something, or suggest that it MIGHT effect the marketability of the property in SOME markets, but it gets to the point of being rude to make a blanket judgement in a way several of these post have done.

And it has been well documented in the industry that wallpaper is making a big comeback. Whether you are on the love it side or the hate it side. if 'prevailing opinion' has any value (and you seem to think it does), guess what, wallpaper now is gaining value in home decor again. 

I highly doubt that wallpaper will ever increase the value of a home.

More generally, when it comes to differing opinions or sensibilities.... you sure can dish it (rudeness) out, but you can't take it. Have a nice day. :-)

Honored Contributor

I was married to a real estate broker for many years. I sort of got an unofficial education in the field of interior design and staging. One thing is for certain...everything in a house for sale must be very clean and tidy. Spotless paint jobs and crystal clear and clean windows inside and out are a must.  A vase of fresh-cut flowers or a live plant at or near the entry way leads to a good introduction into a property. Clutter and personalized items on display are not an option.

Honored Contributor

I think things like family pictures make a home feel cozy and inviting.

Honored Contributor

Wallpaper comes and goes in and out of fashion.  Personally, I'm in a been there, done that phase with wallpaper.

IMO wallpaper is a bigger deal than a bad/old/ugly paint job, as it is far harder to change or remove.  I also think that the chances of a prospective buyer who may actually like wallpaper, liking YOUR wallpaper, are slim to none.

The fact of the matter is it's you home to decorate as you please.  It's also your home to prepare for selling as you please.  I don't know why we have to argue about it.  Most are simply stating a general way to sell a home the fastest for the greatest amount of money.  There are always exceptions.

Honored Contributor

We purchased our home over 30 years ago. The wife stayed behind to sell while her husband went on to the new home. We saw it empty except for a bed and tv. That's what we liked as the whole house could be seen, nothing hiding behind furniture,etc.

I like to see a home for sale as empty as possible.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pricing the house right, being clean and uncluttered, removing pics of family from the walls. Neutral paint on walls. I was a realtor years ago - and was amazed what ugly, messy homes people bought. The location - and the lot the house is on - is very important. Not across the street from a school, park or commercial property - and not backing up to a main street.  Everyone likes something else!!!! I bought my house brand new almost 17 yrs ago - from the models. There was dirt on my lot. I wound up getting one of the best lots in my tract - corner lot - very quiet streets on either side - lots of parking. There are several ways to drive in and out of my tract - and they don't drive on my street. I'm also a couple blocks away from 2 schools. I had to have a corner lot - because previously I owned a townhome - which was between 2 other townhomes (we were attached) and I became claustrophobic. Now I only have one neighbor next house - and one house behind me. When buying a house - there's lots to know. Also, the back of my house faces north - so I get sun all day - I'm in southern Calif. - not far from the beach - so it never gets too hot. Realizing how ur house faces is also very important. I was very fortunate.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

I don't care how a house looks on the inside: it can be messy, it can be cluttered, it can photos all over the place and toys and whatever. What I DO notice is if it smells of cat pee or that "dog" smell. That tells me the carpet will need to be removed and maybe even subflooring (been there done that not going to discuss it). I DO notice if I smell cigarette smoke: another warning to me. I DO notice wall paper or really interesting paint colors because it means my time being spent repainting or removing it else have to PAY someone to do that.

I look at and notice the "guts" of the house: siding, windows, roof, nail pops, age of appliances, wear of the flooring, heating and AC system.... ALL big ticket items. Those things are what matter to me inside a house: not the personal items, not how the furniture is arranged and not if it's clean and tidy (unless there is mold in the bathroom and dirty sinks/toilets).