Honored Contributor

Re: What 'THEY' say is important in reselling a home

Wherever we live, price and location do the most to determine sales.  It's only when both of those suit the buyer that other factors enter in and @Mominohio, you're so right that those other factors differ from area to area.  So -  unless the "they" you're reading or listening to knows the local market well, I wouldn't pay much attention to them. 

Also, if I'm working on my own home and plan to be there for 5 or more years, what "they" tell me has less value.  In my FL condo, the living/dining room is ready for paint and flooring.  "They" say tile floors sell.  I say tile floors are painful for my feet and my back, so the difference they'd make eventually in the selling price just isn't important for me.  Besides, it wouldn't be all that much more at selling time and it would be somewhat more right now.

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I think no matter where you live, it does not really matter much what the house offers - people like what they like in homes and locations and are willing to redo entire kitchens, baths, floors, and paints - etc, to get what they want. 

I do think though to go thru the home and totally unpersonailze it is a very good idea. As in photos, objects, artwork, collections, even down to magnets on the frig. Stand back, look at each room , and take out everything that has to do with what you and your family's own personal likes are and leave it an open slate for the buyers minds to do with what they could do with it.

@CAMOGIRL

I agree that for most locations, people will, for the right price, not mind updating or changing the walls, floors etc. 

And when I go to some open houses, I'm amazed at how cluttered and dirty a house is that they want people to buy. Getting rid of the 'personal' things and making things look unclutterd, clean and neutral is really the best bang for your buck when listing, I think. 

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

What "they" advocate is pretty standard in my area.  But you also have to take into account the neighborhood in your area.  I'm in the process of replacing the countertops in my kitchen.  I got estimates for both granite and laminate that looks like granite.  The granite was more than twice the price of the laminate, and I don't feel that I live in a granite neighborhood and I won't get my investment back.

Wood floors are popular and carpeting is out.  I'm tired of keeping the carpet clean and will replace some of mine.

New double pane windows and newer roofs are important.  A garage will add 20K to your appraisal.

I don't think paint colors are all that important because people will probably change them anyway.  I've seen people change out neutral colors and paint walls red, lime green, purple.  I've been watching the listings in my county to compare my house and I've seen some awful paint jobs.  To each their own.

@Scooby Doo

What I highlighted in your post is so wise, and something I have tried to follow in all upgrades and renovations to my property. 

"They" have everyone believing that top of the line is necessary regardless of your location and in fact, many of us live in areas that just will never see a return of a high end redo. 

If someone wants that because they will enjoy living with it and using it, it is a good investment. If they will sell relatively soon, it might not be the best use of their time, effort and money.

Esteemed Contributor

I think people want "move in" condition in a home. Freshly painted walls, newer floors, newer appliances and updated baths and kitchen. I am not convinced that you can recoup all of those $$ in the sale. I also am not convinced that every buyer has this huge budget for a home. No matter if you are the buyer or the seller your agent will say that it's a buyer's market or a seller's market. I think you need to do your research and check what homes have sold for in your area. I try to check the sales or listings once a week to get an idea of the property tax situation.  

Honored Contributor

What will sell a house is different for every house.  It is particular to the general neighborhood where the house sits, the region, the price, the demographics of the houses around it, etc.

It depends on what one expects from houses in that price range, the age of the house, and the general surroundings.

It's helpful to be open to new ideas to expand your market.  What is grandma decorating to some is homey to others.  Depends on who is likely to buy your house.  And THAT you have to figure out for yourselves.  The house of a 70 year old is NOT likely to appeal to a 30 year old at first glance.  

I house in the country may not be built to, configured to, or decorated to catch the eye of an urban dweller.  It depends on how much money you can put into or time and effort you are willing to invest to make the home the one you want. 

Respected Contributor

Every market is different.  Every home is different.  Every buyer and seller is different. 

I know I live in my home for me.  I look at the structure and layout of the home and go from there.  I want a nice kitchen, open floor plan, and updated bathrooms.  I'm willing to do some work to make it to my liking.  It depends on budget and how much work though. 

I live in an area where homes are updated.  A home that is not updated will be torn down and the buyers will build new. 

I know when we sell our present home, the updates we have put in - new flooring, large bathrooms, finished basement, closet systems - will have been a good investment.  I do not have stainless appliances.  I don't care for them.  I won't buy stainless appliances for someone else.

But it all boils down to is price.  If you have blue carpet, no matter how clean it is, you are not going to get top price for your home because chances are new buyers are going to replace carpeting.  If you have cheap finishes, you are not going to get top dollar for your home.  It's all about your expectations and what you're will to accept as a fair price for your home.

Honored Contributor

Recently 2 people I know followed the recommendations of the realtor and spent money doing updating.  One spent $18,000 and only got about 10,000 more so they lost $8,000 and the other barely broke even so in neither case the did not get more. 

Esteemed Contributor

We sold our home in August 2015, South Texas so it is hot. A must, a good working central AC. We took $15,000 and every weekend I would paint a room until I had the whole house painted, painters wanted $3000 and we weren't doing the ceilings and there was not much to paint as each bedroom had a brick wall as well as the living room, the kitchen was huge but again very little to paint since it was in the center of the house. We also pulled the carpet from bedrooms and living room and had tile installed. We hired someone to paint the house and we landscaped the yard. We redid the guest bathroom and updated all the fixtures in all the house including the lighting. House sold in one week.

Respected Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Recently 2 people I know followed the recommendations of the realtor and spent money doing updating.  One spent $18,000 and only got about 10,000 more so they lost $8,000 and the other barely broke even so in neither case the did not get more. 

What did they spend $18,000 on? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio  Im from the Logan, Union and Champaign County areas.  We would still be there if it were not for the long cold winters.  We haved shoveled enough snow in our life time.

Yes this is our forever place, no residental building going on around here, no large towns within about 50 miles.  No industry to speak of either, so no need for new housing.  We are working on getting a couple of chickens, 2 mini goats, just for pets.  No major animal farm.

Good to meet you too.   Go Buckeyes!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)