Re: What 'THEY' say is important in reselling a home

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Sooner  Clearly - you don't understand what is important when buying a house. Changing wallpaper & paint is totally minor. 

@151949  Clearly, you don't know today's buyers and today's market.  Wallpaper, paint AND bathrooms are very important to today's younger than 65 buying market.    A lot of home buying is a generational thing, and things like that matter to the under 65 buyers, who probably buy more houses than the elderly--like us.

Yep - the furnace rusted away - floors rotting - whatever - but make sure you like ther paint color. That's mature.

That isn't what anyone as saying. Talk about exaggerating others comments.

Esteemed Contributor

Not everyone is handy or wants to take the time to repaint and take down wallpaper. And it's expensive to hire some one. Wallpaper is a huge pain in the butt to remove. When your trying to get top dollar for your house it's about appealing to the most buyers you can.  If you don't want top dollar for your house and would be happy with less then by all means leave your ugly wallpaper.  

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Not everyone is handy or wants to take the time to repaint and take down wallpaper. And it's expensive to hire some one. Wallpaper is a huge pain in the butt to remove. When your trying to get top dollar for your house it's about appealing to the most buyers you can.  If you don't want top dollar for your house and would be happy with less then by all means leave your ugly wallpaper.  

honestly, I'm started to be offended by the insistence that all wallpaper is 'ugly'. 

It in fact, is not. 

There are so many endless kinds and styles of paper (some don't have any print at all, but are about texture), that I feel to lump everything in a particular category as 'ugly' is a bit overstating, and shows short sightedness.

To say one doesn't like something is fine, but to classify all of something as having no value is something I try to avoid doing.

QVC Customer Care

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

My home will soon be on the market and it will be sold 'as is'.  It's had plenty of improvements, upgrades, and maintenance. 

Someone doesn't like it, they can go and find another home to purchase. 

I don't give a dahm about what 'they say'. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

honestly, I'm started to be offended by the insistence that all wallpaper is 'ugly'. 

It in fact, is not. 

There are so many endless kinds and styles of paper (some don't have any print at all, but are about texture), that I feel to lump everything in a particular category as 'ugly' is a bit overstating, and shows short sightedness.

To say one doesn't like something is fine, but to classify all of something as having no value is something I try to avoid doing.

Ah, you need to toughen up a bit if someone saying "all wallpaper is ugly" offends you. :-)  I guess you have a lot of wallpaper in your home. As long as you enjoy it and... as long as you do not intend to sell your home for top dollar.... that's all that matters. 

However, wallpaper in a home that is trying to be sold is a red flag, just like kitchens and bathrooms that need to be upgraded. That's just the way it is -- obviously due to prevailing opinion. Personally, I have never seen an attractive wallpaper in a home, either in person or on tv. It is not a choice I would make.

Respected Contributor

Wallpaper and wall borders can be very dated.  A dated house will not get top dollar...