Honored Contributor

What 'THEY' say is important in reselling a home

We talk a lot here about remodeling, selling, buying and building homes. Has got me to thinking quite often, about a lot of the things 'they' say are important to consider for the value or resale value of your home.

We all live in different markets, so answers to this should vary somewhat. But what do you find that 'they' advocate, that really doesn't apply to your area.

"THEY" are Realtors and other home experts, HGTV and similar shows etc.

The thing I'm careful of here where I live, is to not buy into that whole big bathroom and kitchen thing. We live rural, and I know it is really rather unique to our situation, but investing a ton of money in bathrooms and kitchen here would be much less likely to see a return on, as most of the interest in our properties will be from the Amish community, and they will gut both rooms to suit their needs. 

I'm in desperate want (and kind of need!) of an updated kitchen, as much of what is there in cabinets/drawers are broken (some are actually plastic, and just can't be repaired anymore, such cheap nasty stuff!) and maybe someday I will get to do it, but I will be very careful about what I put into it, and will need to be very mindful that most of the interested buyers won't find an updated kitchen to add value to the home. I'd be doing it for my own use and pleasure for whatever time I will have left in this home.

So what in your unique area doesn't seem to match all the hype we see on the TV shows or that the Realtors tout are a 'must' for selling and getting maximum price or maintaining maximum value in your home. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What 'THEY' say is important in reselling a home

Here is how I see sit.  The HGTV has taken over the mindset of those buying and selling. Many things are staged on this program... just Google it.  And clients in my honest opinion seem spoiled and demanding and sometimes ridiculous.  Heck it is only paint if you don't like the color of the wall.  As for open concept... I personally need divided space in some areas. 

My  advice would be to get a real estate agent in your home who knows your area and then have him or her make suggestions.  We are rural but near to big cities and the big city folk are moving in.  So if and when I sell I will need to make sure I have something in my bathrooms and kitchen they will like.  We did remodel over time the kitchen and two bathrooms and one half bath.  I keep my house in tip top shape.  My house is nice for a large or small family because of the floorplan and my basement is finished from the get go.  So if someone does not like my colors, let THEM paint it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Three things will sell your home. Price, making sure there are no projects, and uncluttered everything. Buyers are willing to do projects but not if the price is to high. So expect your house to sit longer if you have wallpaper or things the buyer sees as needing done.

We are putting our house on the market. It is uncluttered with fresh paint. There is nothing the buyer is going to feel needs done. No ugly wallpaper and no unfinished projects. Paint and flooring are all neutral and any decor will work.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio       Hi, Im from Ohio but Im living in NC now.  Im older (72) and hubby and I bought a home a year ago.  Its 11 acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mnts.  We just bought new kitchen appliances and painted the cupboards white, with new counter tops.  I cook a lot and thats whats important to me.  What I dont really understand is people wanting a huge master bedroom.  Mostly you just sleep in that room.  I do like large closets and a fair sized bathroom.  I also dont get the industrial look.  Back in the day the colonial furniture was the hot item, I hated that and still do.  Most of the homes near us are older homes with wood stoves for heat, but definitely AC, it gets super hot here in the summer.  As far as unique in our area I really dont know.  I didnt really answer your question but we bought what was important to us.  (I was raised in Ohio around Mennonite and Amish country.)

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

When we sell if a seller wants a new kitchen and appliances-heck, they can put them in.

I'd love a new kitchen and appliances but there is no money for that, plus I am married to a man who pinches a penny so hard it bruises.

I have actually said that to realtors.

Respected Contributor

I think no matter where you live, it does not really matter much what the house offers - people like what they like in homes and locations and are willing to redo entire kitchens, baths, floors, and paints - etc, to get what they want. 

I do think though to go thru the home and totally unpersonailze it is a very good idea. As in photos, objects, artwork, collections, even down to magnets on the frig. Stand back, look at each room , and take out everything that has to do with what you and your family's own personal likes are and leave it an open slate for the buyers minds to do with what they could do with it.

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

What "they" advocate is pretty standard in my area.  But you also have to take into account the neighborhood in your area.  I'm in the process of replacing the countertops in my kitchen.  I got estimates for both granite and laminate that looks like granite.  The granite was more than twice the price of the laminate, and I don't feel that I live in a granite neighborhood and I won't get my investment back.

Wood floors are popular and carpeting is out.  I'm tired of keeping the carpet clean and will replace some of mine.

New double pane windows and newer roofs are important.  A garage will add 20K to your appraisal.

I don't think paint colors are all that important because people will probably change them anyway.  I've seen people change out neutral colors and paint walls red, lime green, purple.  I've been watching the listings in my county to compare my house and I've seen some awful paint jobs.  To each their own.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

Three things will sell your home. Price, making sure there are no projects, and uncluttered everything. Buyers are willing to do projects but not if the price is to high. So expect your house to sit longer if you have wallpaper or things the buyer sees as needing done.

We are putting our house on the market. It is uncluttered with fresh paint. There is nothing the buyer is going to feel needs done. No ugly wallpaper and no unfinished projects. Paint and flooring are all neutral and any decor will work.

In our market this is the wise way to go. I see so many that tout the house simply will not sell without a new kitchen or new bath etc. But that is just not true. 

It is about price. If priced right, none of that will stop the right buyer. 

When we look at houses, I don't care about the carpet or the color on the walls even. I care about the foundation, the roof, the main systems (heating, electrical, plumbing) and then the quality and condition of things like windows, exterior doors, etc. and of course always the first thing is location. 

But I think so many people are being hoodwinked into putting in tens of thousands of dollars in renovations that never really result in pay off when the home sells. Lots of work and aggravation, when just listing at a lower price may have been the easier (and wiser) thing to do.

Trusted Contributor

I know what you are saying in regard to HGTV.  I have been watching the new show(I think it is new) about Beachfront Renovations.  Last night I saw one whereby they took a place in Florida, gutted it, put in a new kitchen, all appliances, two new baths, new tile flooring throughout, a new extension on the back of the house, sewer field and container for 40 grand.  Who are they kidding and how do they get away with that?  Here that would be about 140 grand.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@Mominohio       Hi, Im from Ohio but Im living in NC now.  Im older (72) and hubby and I bought a home a year ago.  Its 11 acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mnts.  We just bought new kitchen appliances and painted the cupboards white, with new counter tops.  I cook a lot and thats whats important to me.  What I dont really understand is people wanting a huge master bedroom.  Mostly you just sleep in that room.  I do like large closets and a fair sized bathroom.  I also dont get the industrial look.  Back in the day the colonial furniture was the hot item, I hated that and still do.  Most of the homes near us are older homes with wood stoves for heat, but definitely AC, it gets super hot here in the summer.  As far as unique in our area I really dont know.  I didnt really answer your question but we bought what was important to us.  (I was raised in Ohio around Mennonite and Amish country.)

Great to meet another Buckeye baby!

If you want to share, what part of Ohio were you raised in? We spend a lot of time in the Holmes county area, but don't live there. Our area in the Knox and Morrow county vicinity didn't have Amish until the late 70's or the very early 80's, and even then just a few families scattered. The last 25 years has seen a huge expansion here, and in a few places in southeastern Ohio as well. 

How long have you been in NC? Long enough to decide it is your forever place? I'm betting with that beautiful location, you have found your paradise! 

I know when we bought rural here, it was much less populated, and I wish it had stayed that way. How about where you are now? Does it appear that the building and development will stay away for some time? For me, that is one of the most frustrating things, trying to find rural, but not hours away from a decent sized city, and hoping it stays rural for the duration!

@Imaoldhippie