Honored Contributor

Re: What Style is Your Home Interior?

@151949wrote:

My home is eclectic , cottage style though I own a number of antique mission style pieces. I'm more interested in home being cozy, warm and comfortable than having it be all perfectly decorated.

One thing I do not like is shabby chic. Shabby is just not my style. Peeling paint - worn out fabrics etc do not appeal to me.I prefer restoring an antique to it's original beauty just as the artisan who made it would want it to be. 

@151949.  Actually the 400 year old painted furniture is not "peeling". The furniture is so old, the paint is worn off by being touched by people through the years. The wood is in itself plain. That's why it was painted all those years ago. There is never peeling paint on an old piece such as this.

Honored Contributor

I appreciate different styles too so I think my bedroom is very calming with dark cabinet type wood and a sleigh dark bed and very light otherwise with a snowy wolf and winter pictures on a cathedral frameSmiley Happy

Doesn't it sound wonderful?!Woman LOL

Since moving to a smaller space, I'd say my living area is creative eclectic and since grandchildren, its become a photo gallery! I mean every time there can't be cuter sweeter pictures, here comes another one!

I do like real furniture-wood and a bookcase and old sewing kit are like a dark cherry. I got one from an antique store and another from an estate sale. I feel lucky to have them.

I also have a wonderful tiffany lamp from is it j peng? when QVC sold them in my living room and a bird one from Valerie I got a few years ago.

I love looking at different houses and the way people decorate!

I think I appreciate some of many in lots of styles.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As usual your bedroom is cozy, inviting, pleasing to the eye, and saying I want to sleep there LOL.

We live on the water (as I have said a million times) so I do have coastal cottage with touches of shabby, a bit of industrial, and some modern (in my large sectional) . My kitchen has my MacKenzie childs collection.

I have all off white walls, a distressed large white dining table with rattan dining chairs,( I shocked myself and got a table and chairs that did not match), my buffet is distressed white, blue, aqua, and touches of black running through it. Sofa is very very dark aqua that looks brown in some light.

The screened area on the bay has black wrought iron furniture, our upper deck where the pool is has gray Trex furniture. The firepit has aqua and gray Adirondack chairs  and side tables. 

It is a lot of work but we love it.

Valued Contributor

@Regal Bee

Beautiful!  

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ And tell me - how do you know that was original paint? or that the wood is poor quality?I had a cream color vanity I assumed was vintage from the 30's or 40's that I purchased here in Fl for $10.It needed painted badly but , as I tend to always do, I wanted to strip it first to see what kind of wood it is. When I got it stripped down I wasn't sure what the wood was but a artist and professional wood carver friend was coming down on vacation to stay with us so I left it unfinished to see what he thought. It was a reddish wood, but didn't look like cherry - when he looked at it he let out a whoop and said it was mahogany. Neither of us could believe someone painted over such beautiful wood. My friend took a picture of the stamp on the bottom of the piece and lo & behold - the hallmark was from the civil war era.If I had not stripped off that old disgusting paint I never would have the treasure I have now. Instead I'd have a shabby $10 piece of old furniture. 

Respected Contributor

@Regal Bee Your home is beautiful.  My decor is traditional.  I like the bedrooms to be soft colors to create a restful appearance.  I have a lot of small pieces that I bought from our travels throught the world over the years and they are in various curio cabinets in my home.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Beewrote:

@151949wrote:

My home is eclectic , cottage style though I own a number of antique mission style pieces. I'm more interested in home being cozy, warm and comfortable than having it be all perfectly decorated.

One thing I do not like is shabby chic. Shabby is just not my style. Peeling paint - worn out fabrics etc do not appeal to me.I prefer restoring an antique to it's original beauty just as the artisan who made it would want it to be. 

@151949  While you have a right to your opinion, I think it could have been stated in a much more graceful way. For you to blatantly state you do not like Shabby Chic is insulting to anyone who might say this is their favorite interior style and I might add, that Shabby Chic is and has been very popular for a long time. And, you will note, that my bedding is Shabby Chic. 

This post is entitled What is Your Favorite Interior Style.....I did NOT ask for what you do not like.

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anyone else can't just love it. If it's what you want - go for it. Why do you care what my taste is? Your living there not me.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ And tell me - how do you know that was original paint? or that the wood is poor quality?I had a cream color vanity I assumed was vintage from the 30's or 40's that I purchased here in Fl for $10.It needed painted badly but , as I tend to always do, I wanted to strip it first to see what kind of wood it is. When I got it stripped down I wasn't sure what the wood was but a artist and professional wood carver friend was coming down on vacation to stay with us so I left it unfinished to see what he thought. It was a reddish wood, but didn't look like cherry - when he looked at it he let out a whoop and said it was mahogany. Neither of us could believe someone painted over such beautiful wood. My friend took a picture of the stamp on the bottom of the piece and lo & behold - the hallmark was from the civil war era.If I had not stripped off that old disgusting paint I never would have the treasure I have now. Instead I'd have a shabby $10 piece of old furniture. 

@151949.  We are speaking of two different types of furniture. I visit many old homes and museums in New England. The pieces are usually pine and simply made and painted. These are not in fancy houses. They are first period houses from the 16 and 1700's

I'm not speaking about mahogany. 

Honored Contributor

My home is mostly traditional with some modern but kind of eclectic.  I have some beautiful antiques that were my mothers--a walnut chest and a dry sink.  I have a mahogany end table that has two sides that fold down (not sure what that's called) and a mahogany writing desk that were my grandmother's.  I have a few other pieces from my mother, too.  

When I buy a piece of furniture I normally try to buy quality and keep it forever.  I bought my bed and dresser about 30 years ago.  It's still in perfect condition and I still love it.  I have Ethan Allen bookshelves in my office that I had in my bedroom as a teenager.  

I do like many different styles, though, even if I don't incorporate them in my own home.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@Regal Bee... All I can say is; simply beautiful, calming, refreshing, creative & classy..

Enjoy & relax in this timeless decor.. 👍